1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Hole in the Head Angelfish with Hexamita

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases & Cures' started by MOD_Dawn, Oct 3, 2009.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Thread Starter Active Member

mysteriously lost 2 angelfish despite the water testing well...and noticed a koi hanging in the back today. Low and behold the one hanging in the back has stringy white poo (hexamita).

My plan of attack will be to give in and medicate the tank (I NEVER medicate so I'm definately iffy, but I love the angels so here it goes)....
    CLOUT (the only 1 med I have on hand due to a mis-ship):

Effective medication for the treatment of parasitic and protozoan infestations of fresh water and salt water aquarium fish. Treats: Ick, Hydra, Leeches, Planaria, Hexamita, Epistylis, Trichondina, Tetrahymena, Body Fungus, Argulus (Louse), Flukes and Anchor Worms. 1 Tablet for every 10 gallons every 24 hours for 4 days.

[cussing] Hoping he/she's not too far gone (*Bleep* that lfs!)

2. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

3. MOD_Dawn

Due to the bottles warnings I opted to transfer the angels to the 10g for immediate treatment.
    Warnings....
    Product known to cause Cancer....Do not use on piranhas, Metyniss species, scaleless fish, bottom feeders, marine sharks, lionfish, live rock, invertebrates, amphibians. Clout may stain silicon sealant and aquarium decorations.

Directions for use....
    It is recommended to treat infected fish in a seperate isolation tank.
    Remove carbon from the filter but do not discontinue filtration.
    Take a disposable cup and half fill with aquarium water.
    Dissolve one tablet for every 10 gallons of aquarium water.
    Disperse the medication throughout the treatment aquarium.
    One treatment should be adequate.
    IF parasites or symtoms are still present 24 hours after initial treatment, change 25% of the water and treat again.
    Replace filter carbon after 24 hours after final treatment.
    If fish show signs of stress during treatment, change 50-75 of the water immediately.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have 5 of them in the 10g and followed the instructions on the bottle.
    I've given them a single frozen bloodworm cube and a tiny pinch of flakes.
    I feel awful for them..has fingers crossed that they will pull through!

Sidenote>>>Anyone know how to FULLY remove this product once I'm done treating...as I'm sure at some point I plan to put shrimp/cory in there

4. MOD_Dawn

Since starting the treatment, I've come to watch the Platinums bellys bloat?
    They weren't bloated before?
    Photo attached.
    100_0165.jpg

5. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

Well now that is an interesting development is it.
    Can't help much with the Clout as I have never used it that I recall
    but the active ingredient
    1)METRONIDAZOLE (class of nitroimidazole antibiotics)

2)MALACHITE GREEN (used as a topical antiseptic)

3)PHOSPHONIC ACID DIMETHYL ESTER (used to incease biood flow after a heart attack in humans or kill insects whichever works for you)

Here is so more Info from UF on Freshwater Fish Parasites in general

Rick

6. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

I would have just treated with ONLY Metronidazole or even General Cure... The Malachite Green and the other thing in the med you used were unnecessary for the symptom you said you saw.

Also IME you should have just switched foods on them before treating. Just because you see the white string poo does not mean you need to treat right away. Feeding them deshelled blanched peas will work... also Epsom Salt would have worked to get it out of their system.

I recommend the Epsom Salt even for the "bloat" you are seeing now... I personally would stop ALL meds and go Epsom Salt ONLY as the issue is internal and just treating the water wont significantly treat an internal problem. Ideally IF you need to medicate you need to add the Metronidazole to their food...

7. MOD_Dawn

First things first...the ingredients in the Clout are (taken directly from bottle):
    4-[p'(dimethylamino)-)O-phenylbenzylidene]-2,5-cyclohexadien-1-xylidene dimethylammonium chloride;dimethyl (2,2,2-trichloro-1hydroxy-ethel) phosphonate; 1,2-dimethyl-5-nitroimidazole and inert ingredients as non-toxic binders.

As for changing the food....they originally DID NOT present with bloat...it was rapid loses, followed by noticing 1 or 2 hanging out by themselves and not wanting to eat (even their favorite food-frozen bloodworms)...then upon closer inspection I noticed a ?flatter body in comparison to the rest and the white stringy poo.

Do I normally treat with meds? NO..I can honestly say I've only treated maybe twice in my lifetime (and both times were for ich and using salt and increased temp method)....so for me, I was defin. wary doing this but I had nothing handy but this product and I strongly believe this was Hexamita.

As for stopping meds, according to the bottle if they look good in 24 hours then replace the carbon and your good to go....I treated them about 11 ish and just tripped their light and to my amazement they all look great!

:confused: Amazingly, the appearance of bloat that occured AFTER the treatment is no longer present? The None of the fish appear slanted and they are all swimming normally and behavior is once again appearing "normal".

Plans...to wait until 11ish tonight (when their lights come on) and put the carbon back in if they continue to behave/appear normally and possibly do a partial before adding the carbon cartridge. I intend to leave them in the 10g for at least another day or two to keep a closer eye on them and make sure they are all feeding well.

Hopefully all continues to go well (still holding my breath).

-> ps. note their are 2 platinum angelfish in the tank...I took a photo of each and have attached it here!
    Closeup of once bloated platinum angelfish.jpg the once bloated platinum angelfish.jpg angelfish in 10g less than 24 hours after treatment.jpg

8. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

They do look better now!

9. MOD_Dawn

yea, I'm pretty amazed too.
    I'm still going to keep an eye on them and a bit confused about the bloating that occured once the clout was administered.

The two with the black just poo'ed normal...I never thought I'd be soo happy with normal fish poo. Haha!

I woulda really hated to lose them, they kinda grew on me!

10. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

1,2-dimethyl-5-nitroimidazole=Metronidazole

dimethyl (2,2,2-trichloro-1hydroxy-ethel) phosphonate=Phosphonic acid dimethyl ester

4-[p'(dimethylamino)-)O-phenylbenzylidene]-2,5-cyclohexadien-1-xylidene dimethylammonium chloride=Malachite green

All one in the same they just used the the chemical name on the packaging as apposed to the common name.

Good to hear the angels are doing better

Rick

11. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

TRICHLORFON (Dylox) Dimethyl (2,2,2,Trichloro-1-Hydroxyethyl) Phosphonate:

Trichlorfon is an Organophosphate and degrades rapidly (approximately 99% of applied degraded in 2 hours) in alkaline pond water (pH 8.5) at room temperature. but remains stable in the same pond water held under acidic (pH 5.0) conditions for 2 hours. Trichlorfon is very highly toxic to invertebrates. DO NOT USE ON FISH THAT ARE CHEMICALLY SENSITIVE such as: Silver Dollars, Rays, Bala Sharks, Arowanas, Tinfoil Barbs, Hemiodus, Piranha, Most Silver Scaled Fish, Marine sharks, Lion Fish. Trichlorfon is classified by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) as a general use pesticide. Trichlorfon underwent pre-special review based on its potential to cause tumors, genetic mutations, and reproductive effects

12. MOD_Dawn

Thanks! I'm so glad they are swimming about and not hiding against the back wall still like statues. Everybody ate today (minus my koi), But again...still keeping a close watch on them.

Added the carbon cartridge back to the 10g & hoping all will be well with them. I'm just sad I didn't figure out something was wrong with them sooner (I coulda saved the few that passed)...I thought I had a nightime predator in the tank and that's what caused their early demise...I'm pretty darn sure they probably had the same...but I didn't notice symptoms with them cuz they were eating.

13. MOD_Dawn

placed photos of them here--> 10 Gallon Fry Tank for Baby Fish since I believe they have been cured
    *fingers still crossed and still keeping a close eye on the koi*

14. MOD_Dawn

Sadly, the final Koi that I was treated passed this morning.
    The other 4 are still remaining and doing well.
    I kinda figured the Koi might not make it since it was acting peculiar last night.

15. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

What happened to the other angels? Did they make it? I don't think 24 hours is enough time to cure any problem. I have succesfully used Metronidazole and it's freshwater counterpart Aquazole a few times but the treatments went on for about a week.

16. MOD_Dawn

I believe the 4 did and were traded to the lfs with others for credit.
    This was back in october (alot went on that month, so please excuse my lack of recollection) Lol!