1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Do It Yourself diy caves

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by MOD_Dawn, Jan 1, 2010.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Thread Starter Active Member

Here's a little Do-it-Yourself project that I came across online...with complete props going to Brad Newton.

It's basically a background with a network of caves built-in, and covered w/ lava rock, so it blends in w/ the tank.

The following materials are required:
    [*]Brown Vinyl guttering... hopefully you can find some identical to the style used here. I found it at McCoys Building Center, Home Depot uses a different type and I’m not sure it would work, but check around, you should be able to find something similar.

[*]Tubes of Black Aquarium-safe silicone in Caulking tubes... these are available for less than $4 a tube at <a class="postlink" href="http://www.bigalsonline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bigalsonline.com</a> and the manufacturer is All-Glass Aquarium.

[*]Caulking gun

[*]small roll of Black Vinyl lawn edging

[*]Drill

[*]a 2 ½" holesaw

[*]rubber dishwashing gloves

[*]bag of black landscaping rock (golfball size is best)

[*]hacksaw or jigsaw
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    The total $$$ for this project which in my case results in a background that is 6 feet longx15"high is....
    [*]$7 for 2-10ft gutter sections
    [*]$5 for the lava,$5 for the edging
    [*]$16 for 4 Silicone tubes.
    Under $35 for the completed project

........although it will take quite a few evenings of cutting, gluing, and swearing. But looking back, I’m VERY glad I did the project, the fish love exploring the caves, and the tank looks much more authentic, especially after algae growth is prevelant.
    back2.jpg

2. MOD_Dawn

I drill small 1/32" holes and move the bit side-to-side to make small slots to run zip-ties thru, I use the zip-ties to connect the gutters together, and use a 2&1/2" holesaw to cut the cave openings. It's entirely up to you how many holes to drill, I spaced them close together (to be divided later) and then put another pair of holes further down the gutter, this provides alot of seperate caves that will create alot of different hiding places in your tank.
    back3.jpg

3. MOD_Dawn

I then cut out pieces from a roll of black vinyl lawn edging (the stuff used to surround flower beds, etc.) and use them to divide off the caves. Using aquarium-safe black silicone I glue the dividers in place.
    back6.jpg

4. MOD_Dawn

Here's the completed view of the dividers.
    back5.jpg

5. MOD_Dawn

Here's the outside face of the gutters, prior to gluing the lava rock.
    back4.jpg

6. MOD_Dawn

Now the time consuming part begins, I but a thin surface layer of black silicone on the entire brown surface, to give it an overall black coloration to match the black lava rock. You could use the maroon lava as well, but the color wouldn't blend as easy. Just put a small amount of silicone on the flatest side of each lava piece, and put together your rock puzzle. This is one of those projects you can do while watching TV, at least it won't seem so time consuming then! Be sure to wear dishwashing gloves, this stuff gets pretty messy!
    back7.jpg

7. MOD_Dawn

Project's almost finished, I still have a few little gaps to fill in. I have an overflow that goes between the two backgrounds. The cool part about this project is it gives the fish about 24 caves to cruise around in, it's lightweight (about 20lbs/side), and I connect it to the tank w/ zip ties hooked thru the holes drilled in the top of the ACRYLIC tank, if you put it in a glass tank you'll have to divise some hook arrangement, or possibly drill small slots in the plastic edge used to frame the tank. If it needs to be removed I just cut the 4 zip ties and presto, it's out!
    back9.jpg

8. MOD_Dawn

Here’s an installed picture.
    tank40.jpg

9. MOD_Dawn

Here’s one with the fish.
    trophs3.jpg

10. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

nice....i forgot where i saw a DIY rock backround and it was very intresting....similar and possibly easier

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

GREAT IDEA TY for posting

12. BobV

BobV Member

awesome

13. lil_jess

lil_jess New Member

holy moly, never knew of such thing like that...Now thank you for sharing...I'm going to be more creative on my tank for now...lol

14. MOD_Dawn

You should see some of the tanks that I have...with hand painted backgrounds and ledges made with acrylic and epoxy! Some are truly amazing ;)

15. lil_jess

lil_jess New Member

I want to see some unique works, please share... [dancing]

16. MOD_Dawn

Browse through our diy section, many I have seen in person and didn't have a camera handy to photograph...but when I get a chance I'll browse about my bookmarks and see if there's any that haven't been posted.

17. Rainman89

Rainman89 New Member

just a quick question here
    what is the gutter pipe made of
    if its a metal
    wouldnt it afect the ph in the water
    i really dont know im just asking

18. MOD_Dawn

according to the first photo subtitle "it's brown vinyl guttering material"

19. MOD_Dawn

I'm sure if you really wanted to get creative you could do the same with black pvc pipe/tubes.

1st do the cut outs for the fish to swim into them

then drill small holes to connect them with zip ties

cap them off at the top and maybe leave the bottoms open (could stick them right into the substrate)

and probably affix them to the back/side wall of the tank by drilling holes and attaching suction cups...bet the new magnetic type would work nicely?

Could do a shortened version that was moreso vertical than horizontal and being black would blend into the back probably quite nicely.

20. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

OH the wheels are burning rubber. I want to do the black PVC in varient hieghts silcone it, cover with gravel and stne ledges. I have everything to do it but the black PVC. HHMMMMMMMM You people get me in trouble! LOL