1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Do It Yourself DIY Moss Wall Background for your Aquarium

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by MOD_Dawn, Jan 8, 2009.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Thread Starter Active Member

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

A very simple technique could be employed to create a DIY backdrop using aquatic moss for the natural aquarium. The stuffs needed to create the moss wall are commonly available, and the following simple steps will show you how to get it done with a little effort, on DIY basis.

How to Create a Moss Wall

The above are what you would need to create the DIY moss background (or moss wall):

* Plastic Mesh (click here to buy Plastic Mesh)
    * Scissors
    * Suction Cups
    * Tying Wire
    * Aquatic Moss (click here to buy Java moss)

The plastic mesh is commonly available in most hardware stores, plant nuseries, and large supermarkets. It’s main use is to be mounted on windows to prevent mosquitoes and other insects from entering the house. Well, we have different use for it. The meshes come in different colours and sizes, but for our moss background (or moss wall), we would need one that is about 7mm to 8mm in size, and black colour is more appropriate for the backdrop.

The mesh is cut to 2 times the size of the tank that you want the moss background (or moss wall) to be in. You would need to fold the mesh in half and stuff the moss in-between. Cut some holes on the perimeter of the mesh so as to stick in the suction cups. For my demonstration, it’s for a small 1 ft tank, hence one suction cup is sufficient. If you are doing a large wall, you will need to put in more suction cups especially on the 4 corners, and also some suction cups around the centre of the mesh to prevent warping when the mesh is in the tank.

How to Create a Moss Wall How to Create a Moss Wall

Next, you would need sufficient quantity of moss. Open up the mesh, and spread out the moss evenly onto half of the mesh. Try not to leave any space uncovered, else you might have gaps in your moss wall later when the wall has been erected in your tank and the moss starts to grow out.

Next, fold back the other half of the mesh, and tie up the 2 halves together. I’m using some tying wire here, since it’s simple and I have it available on hand. You could also use fishing line or nylon thread to tie it up. Do not use any cotton thread since it will disintegrate after a short while in the tank. Remember to insert in the suction cups.

The above diagrams illustrate the final product.

Next, insert the mess against the back panel of your tank. Try to leave as little gap between the mesh and the glass as possible to prevent small fish from entering and stuck inside. One tip to prevent fish from entering the gap is to cut the height of the mesh to be slightly taller so that you can tuck the bottom of the mesh slightly into the substrate, and the top slightly above the highest water line. As for the length, try to measure it accurately so that both sides of the mesh fit closely to both sides of the tank.
    The final step, wait for the moss to grow out of the mesh, and thou shall be rewarded.

How to Create a Moss Wall

Congratulation! It’s done! You will be having a very beautiful moss background in 2-3 months time. Christmas moss will be a better choice to create the moss background (or moss wall), as compared to Java moss due to it’s growth nature of forming a series of neat triangle shapes, which looks like a Christmas tree (that’s how we got the name of Christmas moss). I shall discuss more about it in the next article!

Christmas moss: Click here to buy Christmas moss
    Moss wall installation package (plastic mesh): Click here to buy Moss wall installation package (plastic mesh) to secure the moss

If you are interested to know how to plant Java moss, Christmas moss, or other moss, in order to create a great aquarium floor, you could refer to the article on more information about How to plant and grow Java moss.

Source of information: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.aquamoss.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.aquamoss.net</a>

3. Ryanstech

Ryanstech New Member

I saw this idea before and now that I have some extra moss just floating around in my 10gal I think I might give it a shot.

4. MOD_Dawn

oops, sorry anthony...forgot to copy and paste the info. My bad!

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

It's okay. :D

6. aznfire888

aznfire888 New Member

just wondering if anyone has tried this and if they have can they post a picture?

7. MOD_Dawn

I did it on a small piece of needle point plastic grid, I think you might be able to catch a photo if you check through the 90g planted link in my signature.
    It would be on the left side of the tank at the top or on the rear to the left just above the xp4 spraybar.

I just used the "grid" and zip tied it...quick and cheap!

8. aznfire888

aznfire888 New Member

first off..awesome tank you have dawn too bad i read you were tearing it down it looked great...i think i saw a bit of the "grid" you were talking about, but it seemed fairly small would you be doing it for your new tank? probably not right since you want your BG painted...i dont know if i should post this here or in your 90 g thread lol