1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Article Feeding-Quantity and Frequency

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by MOD_Dawn, Jun 24, 2009.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Thread Starter Active Member

FEEDING- Quantity & Frequency

Most fish-food packaging gives few details about the quantity that should be used, largely because this depends on the number and size of the fish in the tank. As a rule of thumb, feed fish little and often---offer food three or four times a day, providing no more than will be eaten with two or three minutes. In a mature tank, there will be edible items, such as algae, for fish to browse outside of their set feeding times.

Avoid overfeeding---unwanted food scraps will pollute the water, impairing the health of the fish. Providing an unbalanced diet also causes problems: an excess of fat, for example, leads to obesity, shortening a fish's life and possibly causing sterility. Guard against underfeeding, too. Fry, which need to eat more regularly than adults, may become stunted or deformed if they are underfed. Using dedicated fry foods will ensure that they get the nutrients needed. IN a community tank, make sure nervous fish get a chance to feed; otherwise, they too may become malnourished. A number of catfish are night-feeders, so drop food into their tank just before lights go out.

2. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

you really ran out of things to write about XD

3. MOD_Dawn

Hey, it's informative and aquatic related. Lol!

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Thank you. I've only been feeding once a day and have been concerned I am overfeeding. Will try feeding less and more often--thanks!

5. MOD_Dawn

Welcome xnefc, glad it proved useful for ya!

6. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Too bad I dont have the time to feed more then once a day everyday. I try too as much as I can tho. But Gotta agree with steven :)

7. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

So Dawn will you just come down here and feed my fish for me.

Rick

8. MOD_Dawn

only if you'll do my tank cleanings and filter maint. rick! Lol!

9. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Active Member

I normally over feed for the shrimp and snails. It takes about an hour for the feed to vanish, but it's cuz the snails are slow to find it.
    I feed 2 times daily, some times 3 if I'm home. If I know i'll be out late I make sure to offer micro worms, they stay alive for days, but don't normally last longer than a few hours.

10. nossie

nossie Member

I wish more people would be aware of this!
    It's especially important to feed goldfish often, between 3-5 times a day when they're most active! They lack a stomach and they can't store any food anywhere for a longer time, and so they need to be given nutrients regularly and often to stay healthy and grow well!
    I'm a bit worried that so many people feed them only once a day and pretty much at that... :C

11. MOD_Dawn

lol, not the case here...the 90g gets fed at least 4 times a day if not more.
    the 20L gets fed twice a day :)

12. nossie

nossie Member

Yay! I use to feed my fish three times a day for now :) And they're growing really nicely! (They're still rather young, so it's understandable)

13. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

I feed em 3-4 times a day, 2-3 pinches at a time. Lunchtime they get a quarter sized ice cube of a frozen mix of beefheart,daphnia,bloodworms,brine and spirulina.

I always overfeed due to the thousands I have living in the substrate. by morning the tank is spotless.

14. genettico

genettico New Member

Feeding several times a day is a great idea, yet non-practical nor realistic for most working folks, as they leave for most of the day and come back to just a few hours left in the photoperiod. In my dealings with aquarium systems, I have learned that most people tent to OVERFEED more than UNDERFEED. Feeding what fish will eat in the spam of 2 minutes, was used as a reference some good 20 plus years ago. The problem with this "rule of thumb" is that it does NOT account for the type of fish, the size of them, the size of the system they are in, how many fish, what type of food and a large number of other variables. So...., what to feed and how much??

Learn your companion's specific dietary needs, and feed accordingly.Do consider your tank's limits on bioload also, as feeding too much creates more problems sometimes than underfeeding. I know It sounds vague, but not soo much if you really thing about it. I have found most people feed the wrong type of foods for their beloved pets, and in most cases they overfeed the system, but because of the type of food provided their fish succumb to poor nutrition. I named this: " HAY SYNDROME". As you know, hay/grass and the like contains very little nutrient value, hence the cows horses are force to eat more and more to meet their nutrient needs, if they do not, they get malnourish and could die. it is not the quantity, rather the QUALITY of the food used. You can eat junk food all day and still have a very poor nutrition, or you can eat once or twice a day but great food and be healthy and properly nourished.

The right diet for the right fish, once or twice a day at the same time each day is more than enough in most cases, with some exceptions. If you can feed your fish 3, 4 times a day less food, that's ideal but do not think it is the only way to achieve a proper feeding.

15. MOD_Dawn

auto feeders will work great for when you can't be home..that way your fish get their meals and you don't have to worry.

--> and a side note since some foods "dirty" the water, especially when left uneaten...frozen food/live food is a "cleaner" food to feed your aquatics in comparison to flakes/freeze dried foods ime.

I have a discus community tank as most will know and want my discus to reach there full growth potential...and as such feed them several times a day...quality frozen foods for the most part...and a bit of NLS flake 1-2x a day also.

16. genettico

genettico New Member

Kinda hard to use auto feeders with frozen or fresh preparations. They are IMO a last resource if you cannot be home to feed your fish, as they drop the food to the top of the water as opposed to the water column. this causes more un-eaten particles thus more pollution, and if you have overflows from boxes or other there is more of a chance the food will simply be taken out of the main tank before the fish even get a chance to feed.

17. MOD_Dawn

yea, I hear ya on the feeders not working with the fresh/frozen stuff...but for people who are gone a majority of the day at least it provides the fish with a meal.

Here's a thought for those using feeders and wanting the food to stay stationary so to speak...position it over one of those rings/feeding stations. Just a thought.

18. genettico

genettico New Member

good idea if you are using an automatic feeder.