1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Fully Aquatic Frogs (Questions & Advice)

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by Leslie, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Leslie

Leslie Thread Starter New Member

does anyone have frogs?
    Okay well this is my like 10th post for today. but i was woundering if anyone had frogs. i wanted to get 1 or 2 but when i had them last time they would swim all the way to the top of my tank and sleep ontop of the heater and try to get out. maybe it was colder at the bottom but my fish did fine. can anyone give me some info on them?? also is it okay to keep them in a box with just bambo and water? like the ones you see when you go to the beach and stuff?

2. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

Re: does anyone have frogs?

What type of frogs are you interested in keeping? There is one user on here that keeps them. I think they're some type of african frogs

3. Leslie

i dont know the names. thats why im asking. i want to get 1 or 2. Mine always died and i dont know why. i tried so hard to keep them but i gave up after i got the second set. i didnt want the to suffer no more so i gave up. and i didnt know if they couldbe keep in the little plastic cages with bambo.

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I believe the user here keeps African Clawed Frogs.

I'm not a frog person and have no idea what species those frogs sold at beach shops are. The ones I've seen have been fully aquatic frogs. If you used one of those plastic things and filled it with water, some rocks and a plant or two they should be fine.

5. Leslie

opps maybe i should have put fully aquatic frogs in the title. i dont want anything that gets out. i think that we are talking about the same frogs. i just wanted to know how big the little thing they live in would have to be.

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Those guys don't get too large. If you got one of the larger plastic tanks you're talking about it should be more than enough room for 2 of them.

7. Leslie

the ones i seen were kinda small. i also seen someone keep them in a glass jar. can they even make it in a jar? what other plants would need to go into it?

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

No they cannot be kept in a jar, I have seen some of the albino frogs that are kept in aquariums get up to six inches not including the legs. They eat anything they can fit in there mouth! This particular frog met his demise when its owner decided to put gravel in the tank instead of the bare bottom. Long story short the frog ate the gravel and died.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

When we had several aquatic frogs living in their own 30 gal tank we plexi glassed the open areas around the heater, and filters, so there was NO escape..also only fill your tank 3/4 way up..they do NOT do well living in a little plastic hermit crab type box..frogs are messy, need live food and need lights,heat, plants and filtration to be healthy..the can be alot of fun, I have never had a problem with gravel on the tank floor,,here is a link to a helpful site... <a class="postlink" href="http://aquaticfrogs.tripod.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://aquaticfrogs.tripod.com/</a>.

10. Leslie

thank you for the info.

11. eeyipes

eeyipes New Member

A froggie vivarium with a little waterfall and pond would be way cool.

12. Leslie

i looked to see if they had any frogs at a local store here but to my luck no.nd they told me they didnt know when they would get some. thats always my luck.

13. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Would they not special order some for you ?

14. Leslie

i did nt think to ask.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

What kind do you want..how many?? I will buy them, you pay me (discussed while I am at the shoppe) and pay for shipping..NO PROFIT, will send cod through DHL or FED X whatever you prefer..with the actual reciept from the store..just love frogs and want them to have a good home, you are free to call me, yes, I live in NYC, this is a ms cell# for my kids/grandkids,sorry home # is private..or feel free to e mail me
    let me know if I can help

Edit by Anthony: Removed Cell Number For Security Reasons :D
    Google and other search engines cache the forum and anyone would be able to get your cell number. I'm not sure you want that or not, but I don't want it to happen to you.

16. Leslie

i am going to try one more place. if i cant find any i may take you up on that offer.

17. Leslie

can someone help me with a question about my frog?

can someone help me with a question about my frog?

Okay i had a question about my frog. today i cought it swiming to the top of my tank then dart back down, did it only once. i dont know if it was eating the fish food or not. i have seen it do it once before. i feed it the frog food i got so i dont know if it is hungry. any help??

18. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Re: can someone help me with a question about my frog?

Is it one of that African frogs ?

19. Leslie

Thats what the sign said at petsmart. so I can only assume.

20. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

African clawed frogs eat a variety of foods so it's quite possible it was eating the flake food. I'm sure where you got it from that's what they were feeding them.