1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Gravel: PeaGravel

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by Anonymous, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I decided to go with the pea-gravel, and I am in the process of remodeling. I'll post some pics (if I figure out how) when I get finished!

Update...Ok guys, here are a few pictures of what it looked like (roughly, I was taking pictures of the Angels, but you get the idea) before. It just had the plain "pet store standard" blue rock substrate. One blue dragon, and a few fake plants as decorations. Mind you, this was what was left from our 30gal when we got the 55g, we just transferred.
    025.JPG 026.JPG 027.JPG 028.JPG 010.JPG 011.JPG

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Re: Sand for Substrate in freshwater (Question)

is that a fiddler crab I see in photo 3 & 4 (in the seashell)? i see you list 2 crabbys..they should have access to land ..uh Oh!

Love the final photo. Looks really good!
    I also love the balloon mollies! They are the cutest with the pudgy bellys!

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Yes, they are fiddlers, but the "expert" at the store told me that the bubblers would provide them with oxygen coves inside the stuff, they have been in there for over a week now and been fine, so I hope they will be ok!!

I love how the Mollies "waddle" when they swim too.

4. James0816

James0816 New Member

I wish you well....or should I say...them. Recon we can't convince ya to take em back or get their own domicile eh?

YIKES!

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I think what those "experts" were suggesting is putting a airstone beneath something such as a container to create "land". Of course you'd have to weight that container down.

Did the "experts" also tell you they are brackish and not freshwater?

Borrowed, but backs up what I am telling you:
    Keeping Fiddler Crabs
    The fiddler crabs found in pet stores are most likely semi-terrestrial brackish crabs, which means they need some salt in their water as well as access to air and dry land. Unfortunately, many pet stores keep fiddlers in a freshwater aquatic set up, and recommend the same to new owners. They may do fine in a fresh water and fully aquatic set up for weeks, but will eventually become weak and die. If possible, find a store that keeps them in brackish water, or wait for a new shipment so their time spent in fresh water is minimal. Look for crabs that are active and have all their legs and claws.

Providing Brackish Water
    Because most of these crabs are naturally from brackish waters, most experts recommend putting salt (get aquarium salt from the pet store; never use table salt) in the water. The ideal amount of salt to add is controversial, but it is probably best to get a hydrometer and add enough salt to the water to attain a specific gravity of around 1.005 - 1.010. Hydrometers are not all that expensive and can be found at pet stores and also home brewing shops. Alternatively, your package of aquarium salt may have instructions for producing brackish water conditions. It is okay to vary the salt concentration/specific gravity slightly as these crabs would naturally experience some variations in salinity.

Temperature
    Fiddler crabs do well at a range of temperatures between about 75-85 F (24-29 C).

Fiddler Crabs Need Land Too
    Some provision should be made to provide the crabs with access to land/air. Owners that do not do this often find their crabs crawling up the filter intake and into or on top the filter in an attempt to find land. Providing a sloped bottom to the tank with part of the gravel or sand out of the water works well. Alternatively, use a partly filled tank with large rocks on which the crabs can climb out of the water.

Feeding Fiddler Crabs
    In the wild fiddler crabs are scavengers, eating bits of organic matter they find in the sand/mud. In captivity, they can be fed sinking crab food, fish food meant for scavengers (sinking tablets, shrimp pellets, etc), and freeze dried plankton and shrimp.

Signs of health in fiddler crabs include growth and regular molting. Once a crab molts, their previous exoskeleton will likely be whole in the tank, looking eerily like a ghost. It is a good idea to leave the exoskeleton in the tank, at least for a week or so. Often the crabs will ingest part of the shed exoskeleton, and it serves as an excellent source of calcium (which they need to produce their new exoskeletons). Claws and legs may be lost but will regenerate over a couple of molts.

Fiddler crabs may produce eggs in captivity (the female carries eggs on her belly), but successful rearing of the young in the aquarium is next to impossible due to the way their natural live cycle works (the larvae grow in deeper ocean waters and return to shore at maturity).

6. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

LOL.. you know, I read that right after we got them, and I tried to ignore it. He didnt tell me that they were brackish.. so that basically means they need closer to salt water then freshwater? Poop. I GUESS I'll just have to start a whole new project on my old 29 gallon. OH DARN ::fakes a sigh::

fyi.. my hubby is going to kill me.

7. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Oh James, I wasnt arguing, I was using the term "expert" very loosely!! Do you think they will be ok for a few more days until I can get my 30g up and running???

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I've read where they've lived for weeks in freshwater (although it defin. weakens them). I'd be taking them right back to who sold them to you as James suggested.