1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

how do you cycle a tank?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Leslie, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Leslie

Leslie Thread Starter New Member

how do you cycle a tank?
    I forgot everything i guess. lol! but do i need to cycle my 5 gal tank? if so how do i do that?

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

There are several different ways.

You can just drop your fish in and they will start the cycle. You just have to keep a very close eye on the water parameters so it doesn't become toxic for the fish and kill them.

Then there is a fishless cycle. You can read all about that here. Fishless Cycle for your New Tank / Nitrogen Cycle

Another option would be to take filter media from an already cycled tank and put that in the new tank. Unless you know someone else with an aquarium you won't be able to do that since this is your first tank setup.

3. Leslie

i read that topic and it just confused me. (maybe im slow) do i cycle my tank with fish i am wanting to keep or get different fish that i dont want??

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You can do it either way. Some people just buy feeder fish (Usually goldfish). I think they're like 10 cents a fish. They throw them in for a few weeks to cycle the tank then take them back to the petstore.

5. Leslie

isnt the cycle like 30 days?

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

It can take that long, yes. You'll have to test your water to know for sure when your tank is fully cycled.

7. Leslie

how do you know when it is fully cycled? (sorry to be annoying)

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You're not being annoying at all. Just use your test kit. When your ammonia and nitrites zero out and you have nitrates your tank is cycled.

9. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

go get yourself 4 rosie red or minnows and leave them in there for about a week or two take them out and feed em to the oscar

10. Leslie

i dont have a oscar.

11. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I think your best bet would be just to get the fish you want from the beginning and test the water every day and dose with your aqua safe as needed to remove ammonia and nitrites.

12. Leslie

what do you mean by dose? just add more of the product? i dont want to add to much.

13. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yes, just the recommended amount for 5 gallons of water. You won't add to much.

14. Leslie

ok. so add some to it to remove the stuff. do i change any of the water?

15. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You can just add the aqua safe and do a weekly water change if you're not able to do a water change every day or two. Even if you do a water change every few days still add the aqua safe for 5 gallons of water. EVERY time you add water to your tank make sure to use the aqua safe.

16. Leslie

Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:44 pm
    ok. well i think i got it. add the recommended dose of aqua safe every time i add water. what if i add just a few ounces?

17. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:33 am
    You cannot cycle a tank in 2 weeks without fish or adding ammonia. Also, test strips aren't accurate which is why liquid test kits are recommended.

Letting water "age" in a trashcan doesn't cycle it either. The only way a tank cycles is when ammonia is produced and bacteria begin to grow to remove the ammonia and turn it into nitrates.