1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

how long for tannins to be fully released from driftwood?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Anonymous, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I purchased some driftwood three days ago and I have been soaking it ever since, changing the water twice a day, to leach all the color out of the wood so that it doesnt tarnish the water of my tank. I was wondering if anyone has any clue how long it will take or any advice on the subject.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

With the driftwood in my tank, I just soaked it in very hot water for a few hours then placed it in the tank. I didn't notice any leaching in the tank. I also think my piece was pre-cleaned too though.

3. BobV

BobV Member

carbon is supposed to remove those tannins from the water, so if your water gets a tint to it, just add carbon to your filter and change it regularly. Boiling should remove most of the tannins, but if after it is put in the tank, the wood still leaches tannins, use the carbon for a few days.