1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Article Instantly Cycle Your Aquarium in 1 Step

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by MOD_Dawn, Dec 24, 2010.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Thread Starter Active Member

StartSmart

A relatively new product has hit the market and claims that the Wating Game is officially over when it comes to cycling your tank and is made right here in the U.S.A!

[*]StartSmart instantly cycles new aquariums and eliminates ammonia in problem tanks.
    [*]Also apply when adding new fish, after medication, or with water change.
    [*]Available in freshwater and saltwater formulas, 4oz treats 50 gallons.
    [*]StartSmart is the first and only single-step bacterial product proven to instantly cycle aquariums.
    StartSmart is Tested and Proven Powerful by Professionals you Trust and is proudly made in the USA!

http://www.startsmart-testimonials.com
    info@startsmart-testimonials.com
    1-800-351-1949
    750_TLC_start_smart_jpg.jpg

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Well, it sounds/looks good.

3. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

Even Communism looks good on paper. I am just VERY skeptical of these types of products.

4. MOD_Dawn

Eh, I used the TetraSafe Start when I was in a rush due to the unexpected breeding pair bullying everyone in the tank.
    I put the fish in basically immediately afterwards and had no negative consequences of doing so.

If I ever set up another tank I think I'd definately give it a try, but I highly doubt I'd use it for after partials and such.

5. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

If it's new what's the cost and availability? HHMMMMMM

6. MOD_Dawn

ebay their selling it for like $20 (which includes shipping and is insane if you ask me)

This site shows it as $3.99 for the 4oz bottle...linked the saltwater one as they are showing out of stock and no photo for the freshwater version of it.
    http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supp ... feedid=126

7. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

Sounds "fishie" to me.

8. MOD_Dawn

eh, but for $4 I'd give it a whirl.
    thinking of it as beneficial bacteria in a bottle :)

9. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

lol I don't think it would work, beneficial bacteria lives off ammonia and nitrites (AKA fishes) they need the right amount, to much the BB colony dies, too little they still die. Also BB likes to attach it's self on to bio media so it would be hard for them to get it in a bottle. The easiest way to jump start a tank would to be just dumping cycled filter media seeded with BB or gravel from a cycled tank.

10. Alleycat

Alleycat Member

But then, how do the many aquarium companies make money from unknowing fish hobbiests? :)

You're absoutley correct, steven !! I've never cycled a tank in my 40 yrs in this hobby. The only time I've "primed" a tank is when I've taken fish to conventions and had to use hotel water in my tanks. Prime is amazing stuff ...

If you don't have an aquarium in the house then yes, you need to cycle your tank with one of the many chemicals out there ... Or, borrow some used tank water from a friend and maybe a decoration/gravel/plastic plants etc... give them your new filter media, take theirs, and voila, you're ready to go. :cool:

just my 2cents

11. Jeff W

Jeff W New Member

Prime is amazing. I use it in all my tanks. That and salt. I use a 55 gallon barrel with a sump and a heater. I run an air stone to circulate the water add 5mls of prime and i use the water the next day. i can start a new tank or do water changes on old tanks. Come to think of it i should be doing water changes right now. :)

12. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

(never cycled a tank in my life either xD)