1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

My Planted Endler Tank (Virginia)

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by Anthony, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Anthony

Anthony Thread Starter Active Member

So here's the new tank. I was just messing with the gravel so it's a little cloudy. I didn't have time to do the background before I had to put water and fish in it so I'll have to do that this weekend. I'll also be getting some more plants and possibly another piece or two of driftwood.

PS The Endlers always group at the top of the tank when they see me. They think they should be fed every time I walk by. :)
    DSCF1056.jpg

2. Anthony

Here's the tank with the background in place. I forgot I had extra from my saltwater tank.

I don't think I soaked my driftwood long enough. I think that's what's making my water cloudy.
    DSCF1062.jpg

3. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

Nice start ;)

4. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

You may never soak it long enough. It could take months to fully sink, or is it yellowing your water?

5. Anthony

Yellowing/clouding the water. It sank without an issue, it was pretty heavy for it's size.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

throw some carbon in your filters for a month or two and it will be fine

7. Anthony

Didn't even think of that. I'll have to see if I have a small bag of it. If not I have to pull one out of my saltwater canister. :confused: Do you think Purigen would work too (better or worse than carbon) ?

I ended up putting an AC 110 on this tank. Think that's enough filtration ? :)

8. Anthony

I found an unused palm size bag of carbon that came with my overflow wet/dry filter so I put that in the AC 110. I'm not sure if it's going to have enough surface area to do much but I'll give it through the night and see what it looks like in the morning.

9. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

nice endlers

10. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

I think you're going to have to use the purigen to remove it

11. Anthony

Yeah, I think so too considering the little amount of carbon in the filter. I read a few things about carbon vs Purigen as far as tannis goes and most everything said not to bother with carbon and just use Purigen. Tomorrow morning I'll take a bag out of my saltwater canister and regen it to use in this tank.

12. LemonDiscus

See, I love the tannins in my tanks.... different fish though, mine thrive with tannins in the water

13. Anthony

So this morning the tank is a bit more clear, but still not perfect. I'll be putting Purigen in there as soon as the bag is ready.

14. Anthony

So here's an update on the clarity of the tank after putting the carbon in. It is a bit more clear compared to the last picture but it's still not as clear as I'd like it. My Purigen is soaking in Prime now so as soon as it's done I'll place that in the filter and post an update later tonight or tomorrow morning.
    DSCF1086.jpg

15. LemonDiscus

You people and needing clear water.... hmmmm :confused:

16. Anthony

:p I just ran upstairs to check on the progress and already it looks a lot better than before. I'll give it a bit longer then post a new picture. I'm in the middle of doing maintenance on my saltwater tank.

17. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

What's wrong with wanting clear water :)

18. LemonDiscus

I like Blackwater :D

Nothing wrong with clear water though.... to each their own!

19. Anthony

:) I've never seen a tank with blackwater before, in person anyway.

20. LemonDiscus

My water is "black"!

Its not really black, but the tannins leach into the water turning it yellow or like "tea". The tannic acid that turns the water yellow/brown, lowers the PH slightly, softens the water and darkens the light a big going into the tank making the water conditions PERFECT for Discus, Angelfish, Cardinal Tetras, and Oto Catfish, all of which I keep.

Google "Blackwater"! The Rio Negro (Black River) that feeds the Amazon is a blackwater river. The Amazon is a Whitewater River. Where the 2 rivers meet is called "The Mixing of the Rivers" and is quite neat to see!