1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Article Routine Aquarium Tasks Checklist

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by MOD_Dawn, Jun 24, 2009.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Thread Starter Active Member

REGULAR ROUTINE AQUARIUM TASKS CHECKLIST:

DAILY
    [*]Check the lights above the tank; replace a burned-out tube without delay.
    [*]Make sure the filter is working effectively; if it is not, there may be a blockage in the system or even a power failure.
    [*]Check the thermometer; if the water temperature has changed, the heater or the thermostat may be faulty.
    [*]Reposition any substrate plants that have become uprooted and floated to the surface.
    [*]Trim dead stalks and leaves from plants. Add aquarium plant fertilizer to water as directed.
    [*]When feeding the fish, watch out for any decline in appetite, since this is usually a sign of illness.

WEEKLY
    [*]Carry out water tests to monitor levels of nitrogenous waste. Keep a check on the pH as well, using either test kits or a meter.
    [*]If using a sponge filter, rinse it out in tank water (this prevents the loss of beneficial bacteria and will also reduce chances of a "mini cycle").
    [*]Carry out a partial water change of up to 20 percent every week.
    [*]Siphon out any mulm accumulating on the substrate. This will reduce the burden on the filtration system.
    [*]Top off water as needed-be sure to use a dechlorinator FIRST.
    [*]Check for any change in the appearance or behavior of the fish that may indicate that they will soon be breeding.
    [*]If you have a glass canopy-wipe down as needed.

MONTHLY
    [*]Remove any excessive buildup of algae in the tank by cleaning, and then adjust the period of light exposure within the aquarium if need be (Gradually).
    [*]Where an internal power filter or an external filter are being used, strip down, check, and clean the filtration system.

2. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

lol you ran out of things to write about?

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Thread Starter Active Member

Nope, I have tons of things I can write about.
    I think this will be helpful for the newbies that are just starting out.

4. ilikeguppies

ilikeguppies New Member

Excellent post!!! VERY INFORMATIVE to a beginner! I need to print this out, blow it up and post it next to the fish tank I have =D THANK YOU very much!

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

LoL !

6. Ben

Ben New Member

Ill have to print it out for my girlfriend for a chores list next time I go out of town.

7. ilikeguppies

ilikeguppies New Member

haha LOL!
    Now that's even funnier!!! :)