1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

SeaView Gel - Aquarium background adhesive

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by MOD_Dawn, Mar 17, 2011.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Thread Starter Active Member

SeaView Gel is Junk!

http://www.seaviewinfo.com/

I used 2 tubes of this product ($8.59 per tube plus 7% sales tax) on my 90 gallon glass aquarium, followed the directions to the "T" and went over it with a credit card about a billion times to get all the "trapped" air bubbles.
    I even went as far as shining a flash light on the back to make sure nothing was missed because I'm sort of a perfectionist and knew a "air pocket" in my background would drive me insane...allowed it to thoroughly dry and everything looked great! The background truly appeared BRIGHTER in appearance which is what the product is supposed to do.

I opted to play it extra safe and ran duct tape along all the edges BEFORE hanging the equipment back on (canister filters and a hob). The issue didn't appear until days later when I began noticing a few air pockets that were about the size of a pencil eraser...over the next few days they got a bit larger :-x

Now we're into the "months" since it's been applied and I wake up today to a HUGE "air-pocket" and wish I had saved the bottle so I could run it over with my car..REALLY TICKED!

I wouldn't use this product again if it was given to me for free, heck I wouldn't use it if someone were to pay me to try it again..NEVER waste your money on this crap in a bottle that's greasy like baby oil!

Photos attached showing the pockets, the larger one that just appeared favors what water between the glass and a background would look like, so I removed a piece of the duct tape and it was bone dry..so it's definately something to do with the crap in a bottle that I used.
    IMG_2695.JPG IMG_2694.JPG

2. MOD_Dawn

and yes, I did contact the makers of this product as theirs supposed to be a satisfaction guarantee (not that replacing the bit of money spent on the product will help me- since to remove the background I'd need to break down the entire freaking tank!).

3. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

Next time just use vegetable oil

4. MOD_Dawn

kinda late now facepalm

5. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

Dawn, are you talking about that black bubble in the center?

I hate to say it but you need to pull it half off and re-do it, use a window squeege rather then a small card, I had the same issue on my 45H when I put the BG on it, after that it went on perfectly. The bubble is a kink in the BG material, were all flashing and was it cut EXACTLY to spec?

Vege oil works but the stain it leaves behind on the stand and floor doesnt work.

6. MOD_Dawn

the big line running down the center and the two offset bubbles close to it, and I can't get behind the tank to squeege it as it's enclosed on 3 sides by the walls and there's maybe 5" of space behind the actual tank (tank to wall meaning).

My only option was to pull it off...see here--> My 90 Gallon Planted Discus Community Fish Tank

7. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

If you can even get a longer flat thing back there(dustpans work if they fit) just go slow and you can fix it. It doesnt have to be as hard as moving the tank out, if there is 5" back there you had 2" more inches to work with then I did, and im a chunky dunker not a skinny dipper. Its tedious and requires two sets of hands but it can be done. Kids are great in this aspect, they are smaller and usually wont mess around if their hands are pinned LOL

8. MOD_Dawn

LoL! I tried to mend it out before pulling it off (swiffer duster-long pole) and all it did was break it up into 2 large ones rather than pushing the 1 large one out the side.

I finally gave up (<--one of little patience these days) and did the shower curtain.

9. MOD_Dawn

I never heard back from the company, so shot them a copy and paste of the original e-mail and just received a reply.

:rolleyes: Of course, replacement product will not do me any good since the background came sloughing off my tank and I was forced to remove it. :-x
    And saving it surely wasn't an option since it was greasy, and It didn't come off as 1 solid piece (remember my tanks surrounded by 3 walls so I had to pull it off in sections).
    Truthfully I'm just glad their admitting to a problem with their initial product and working to improve it...not that I'd spend another single cent on purchasing it again, but nice to see they know theirs a flaw and are working to correct it.

10. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Tell them their product destroyed the back ground itself making it useless and that you need a new one.

11. MOD_Dawn

Already ahead of you.
    sent this (which was the truth)..
    AND I took it upon myself to notify the store where I bought the background (just in case they still have it in stock) as I'm pretty darn sure the manufacture won't do so.

12. utsadude

utsadude New Member

I have had nothing but good things to say about it when I used it on my aquarium. That was quite a while ago. Still no problems.

13. Robin Milford

Robin Milford New Member

I also use it and I have no problem too. You must read the manual how to use it first.

14. MOD_Dawn

I did read how to use it first, according to the manufacture it's a flaw with the actual product that they were well aware of..but their satisfaction gaurantee is crap and they don't stand behind their product...therefore I won't purchase it-nor recommend it...again.

15. MOD_Dawn

UPDATE:
    Just wanted to give a quick update regarding the status of my expected replacement.

After replying back to the initial response that clearly admitted product incompatibilities (their background wasn't thick enough to work with their product - which by the way is actually meant/recommended to be used with there background) I never heard back from mr. Ryan Hanen again.

Things I tried in order to reach a resolution:
    I tried replying back to the original e-mail which had the company address (seaviewcontact@gmail.com), calling the company phone number found within the e-mail (403- 660-6762) a few times only to receive a pre-recorded message on an answering machine each time, and even left 2 recorded messages on the answering machine which simply asked Mr. Hanen to contact me.

To date I have NOT received any compensation (replacement/refund), I guess so much for their customer satisfaction ey :rolleyes:

For the above reasons I will never purchase this (or any other future products they may/may not make) ever again.
    Nor will I be recommending it to anyone.

16. THEDON

THEDON New Member

My experience was just the opposite. I just set up my old 125 gal. aquarium after a 5 years in storage.
    I bought the seaview gel online. But I got a little confused on installing my 72"x20" background because of the negative reviews. I decided to call Seaview's cutomer support line. The agent very helpful, he suggested I apply the gel with my hands because I could feel the how much coverage I was getting, make sure the aquarium glass was very clean. I put the background up (not Seaview's brand) then turned the aquarium lights on my filled tank. All the traped air bubbles appeared when the tank was lit. It took me about 25 minutes to work out the traped air with an old credit card but the resultes were amazing, the background really popped. It's been up about 2 weeks now and no air bubbles has reappeared, I hope this was helpful.

17. MOD_Dawn

Maybe that's why you had luck, you didn't use it with their background which it was supposed to be made for. Glad you had luck with it, but I'll never buy it again that's for sure.