1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

The new Yellow Calvus

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by NoctuVide, Dec 28, 2010.

1. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Thread Starter Member

This new guy is so tiny! It might be an inch, if that! It was already eating flake, which is quite a difference compared to the last calvus I had (died during the summer due to faulty equipment...) which was a wild caught and took forever to change over to pellet.

Some pics of the little guy:

On Guard

This one shows ya how large the mouth truly is compared to the body...though this little guy would only be able to eat fry lol
    IMG_0107sm.jpg IMG_0119sm.jpg

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

wow, amazed at the size of the mouth!
    Pretty little fish

3. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

really nice looking calvus !

4. NoctuVide

Not the yellow calvus, but here's a pic of my white calvus. This guy's about two to three times the size of the yellow in the pics above.
    IMG_0487.JPG

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Nice! I can't say that I've seen these types of fish in my area..thanks for sharing.

6. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

you don't see calvus in many stores they are usually online purchases.

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

The only place I've ever seen them was at Uncle Neds in MA.

8. NoctuVide

I was gonna say, the only LFS I've ever seen them at is Ned's, which is where I got these guys. Love a LFS that is 90% Cichlids! lol Definitely not a cichlid for tanks with fry or egg laying fish, as in the wild these guys mainly prey on fry/small fish when older, and eggs. As far as predator fish go though, these guys are quite gentle and for the most part, mind their own business.

9. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

your white calvus looks great !

10. NoctuVide

These guys are beautiful! I can't wait to see what they look like full grown! I would absolutely love to breed these guys, but to do that, I'm going to have to get at least 5 more, wait about 1 1/2 to two years, let them pair off, and then hope for the best. VERY VERY slow growing and maturing fish! I'm hoping Ned's still has a couple of these bigger whites, I want to pick up more from him, and for the price he's asking for this size, ya can't go wrong! lol I'm seriously considering changing my 55gal from a community mix into a Tanganyika cichlid tank. I've been wanting to do that with my 90gal, but I'm to attached to some of my Malawi and Victorians. I'm just wondering if my plecos will get along with Tanganyika cichlids, as that I don't want to get rid of them. I have a common in my 90, and they don't really bother him, but he was also a $5 fish, not a $65 Blue Phantom lol