1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

125g Discus Tank Makeover

Discussion in 'Discus' started by LemonDiscus, Feb 3, 2009.

1. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Thread Starter Active Member

Fresh Start on My Tank

Well as I posted in the "Pictures/Video" threads, I started my 125 over again. Here is a few days in how it is going on each point.

New lighting: I am currently on 4 6500K lights for 8 hours.... looks good and the Blue Green Algae is gone with no signs of coming back yet (a bit early though to tell)
    Tank Move: It looks good where it is (can watch TV and the Tank now as they are both on the same wall!) Also another benefit is the tank is now away from the sliding glass door, keeping drafts and sunlight off of the tank! That should also help the algae and keeping my water up in the warmer temps I like it at.
    Peat Media: So I switched off of the Proper PH 6.5 due to phosphates. I did run the tank for a day with the new media to get the PH back down to 6.5. The fish were added the next day with a PH of 6.8. I tested it last night (day 2) and it was at 6.5 then. My goal is to get them down to PH 6. I hope the added acidity might push a spawn of pairing.
    Less Plants: My water can now circulate properly helping my temp hold steady. The tank also looks cleaner. There were also the benefits to the livestock. The Cardinal Tetras now shoal around the tank as they have less spaces to hide making a more stunning view and the Discus are doing some shoaling themselves (this has NEVER happened for me with Discus before!!!)
    Painted Back: The black painted background looks much cleaner than the black plastic taped to the back.... no wrinkles, no bubbles in the back and I used flat black so it is not even glossy. All of my wires and intakes are now MUCH less noticeable. It also made me willing to use less plants (see above :) )
    More wood: Well this may help pull my PH down a bit more, I wanted it to add more visual appeal to the tank.... in return the less plants looked better and hopefully adds some hardscape for spawning area!

All in all I feel I have more control over my tank again and hope that in the long run it will be more efficient and perhaps even get my Discus to pair and spawn.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Re: Fresh Start on My Tank

Hey Ryan, did I ever give you the link to a peat product (I think it was cubes) that goes in your filter ?

3. LemonDiscus

Yes, I decided to go with garden peat.... it is pure with no additives so... for $8 (almost 50lbs) I think that will last me years to come :)

I actually made my own filter packs because I have Marineland filters they have carbon in them.... I pulled the blue stuff off of the frams, dumped out the carbon, put peat in there, wrapped it in the white filter cotton, and then put that inside panyhose! It worked..... I just need to watch my PH level closely until it levels out.

I may if I dont watch wind up at PH 5 :)

Only funny cause the Discus and the Cardinals wont mind... but I am sure to Otos and the Corys will

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yep good deal. :D

5. LemonDiscus

It happened! :)

I have a PH of 5.0 now :eek: Everything in the tank seems VERY happy though! So I guess I should take out more of the peat?!?!

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Woah, I didn't think it would make it THAT low.

7. LemonDiscus

Me either :confused:

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

lol your going to start lossing layers of skin from that acid bath your creating!

9. LemonDiscus

Changes again... for the good

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:00 am
    Ok... so I have yet again redone EVERYTHING! I still am running the 2 Discus tanks with the same stock BUT I changed the 125 and I MAY be taking down my 55 for a while....

My 125 I got rid of 95% of the Stargrass on the left side of the tank... its open now again! The Discus LOVE IT. New territories getting made today. I also spread my Amazon Swords out to compensate.... IMO it looks MUCH better! Also I finally got to vacuum the sand where the Stargrass was... it was NASTY!!! Debris COVERING the sand about 1/8" thick! NASTY!!! So I have a clean tank for the first time in I dont even know how long (thats what makes a planted tank SO hard to keep!)

The other thing is my WIFE actually suggested getting ANOTHER TANK?!?!? I am awaiting an offer I made on a 70 Gallon Corner Bowfront. IF I get this I will be moving the Marlboro Red Discus to this tank and setting this one up in my living room as well... it will be SO MUCH easier to maintain 2 tanks in the same room.

If I do get this I will break down my 3 other tanks and move them to my attic for the time being until I need them in the future. I may even just sell my 20 Gallon... I still dont know yet.... we will see!

I hope they respond to my offer!

10. DanBruv

DanBruv New Member

Re: Changes again... for the good

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:04 am
    good luck :D

11. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:45 pm
    lol u did she suggested u get another thank or did u beg for one

12. LemonDiscus

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:05 pm
    She suggested it :)

13. James0816

James0816 New Member

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:14 pm
    subliminal messaging strikes again!

14. w00t_w00t

w00t_w00t New Member

Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:52 pm
    The fish addiction STRIKES AGAIN!!! To another member of the family!

... Doesn't take long does it? Mom went from "NAO FISH IN TEH LIVING ROOM" and now they are ALL in the living room.. even the turtles XD Do you have pics uploaded on you 125g page thing yet?

15. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:53 pm
    just make it easy on yourself ryan..get a 500g and section the bad boy...then you can stick everything in 1 tank...and only maint 1 tank. Lol!

you could use the 125 for a Monster sump :)
    Just think of the possibilities there!

And the 55g you can turn into a breeder tank and plant it if you so choose :)

16. James0816

James0816 New Member

Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:28 am
    Let's get some fry going here....I'll have my big set up in time for them. ;) Maybe some Barry White...Dim the lights...a nice coctail of mysis and bloodworms. :cool:

17. LemonDiscus

Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:00 am
    Well... the corner bowfront offer I guess was rejected or the tank sold already... I got no response..... :confused:

Instead for the time being we upgraded my African Gray's birdcage... We found a cage on craigslist that retails normally for $650 for $150... It was in really good shape but missing a few nuts holding it together.. nothing $5 in nuts and bolts wont fix....

The tank will wait a bit more but she still wants to get it :D

BTW Yes I did update the pictures of my 125 on that thread w00t

18. Stellaluna

Stellaluna New Member

That is great that your wife is on board with your hobby! I am sure she appreciates the beauty of your 125 - it is a lovely setup - it is like having living art.

Keep looking and your tank will be there - I got my 150 for practically nothing, but I waited a year for the right setup to come available.

Oh, and BTW, do NOT sell the 20g. I have been SO glad that I did not sell my various small tanks many times over. I have had one kind of emergency or the other, a new idea, or whatever, and I have been very glad that I did not clean house like I thought about doing. One day you'll be glad you saved it.

19. DanBruv

DanBruv New Member

good luck