1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

3 gallon "hybrid" tank

Discussion in 'Livebearer Fish' started by MasterBlue, May 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Thread Starter Active Member

I traded fish with someone and one of the fish she sent appears to be a hybrid Endler/Guppy. That said, I separated her and placed her into her own tank. I'm quite eager to see what her drops look like! =3
    This'll be my Journal (since diaries sounded sissy) for what happens from here on out with her blood line.

____________________________________________________________________________________
    What We know:
    There was a pair of Snakeskin Guppies in the tank, who could have hybridized with an Endler. If this took place, the offspring may have survived and thus here we are.

She own appearance is a normal female body shape, with a white dorsal fin an a red tail. She cam "pre-hit" meaning she was already expecting when I got her. But aren't all female guppies? lol =P
    ____________________________________________________________________________________

Her current diet.
    She is eating mostly live foods. She seems to not like fish flakes much, but Micro Worms she can't get enough of.

________________________________________________________________________________________

2. nossie

nossie Member

Well, them guppies can store the male's milt for a period of time, right? ;) So the chance is pretty big that most of the females EVER kept with a male are preggos C:

How interesting, will there be photos? :D

3. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yes, they can store sperm for several drops.

4. MasterBlue

But if another male inseminates her right after she drops then the other male's genetic material get the trash. New guys stuff is held onto till it's needed.

(Did I post this here or did you move it? I'm going to post images, so you'll just have to move it to the image bored XD)

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I assumed that (pictures will be added), but for now there not present so it goes here and will be moved once photos are added :D

6. MasterBlue

I upgraded her tank to a 10 gallon =3 She's even got a few shrimp to keep her company now =P

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

glad to hear all is well...shrimp..yum! :)

8. MasterBlue

Todays notes:
    She is a very pale fish, with a faint trace to red swords blurred, and some what looks like yellow in the center of her tail. Her dorsal looks red from the front, but at the side has a white gloss effect. Some of her scales a little before the fin also have this gloss. The reddish coloration starts from the dorsal and ends at the tip of the tail.

Her bottom jaw still seems off. Either an injury that healed improperly from shipping or a birth defect. Noticed the other fish from Dawn had similar conditions, but weren't in as bad of shape. All seem to have recovered. May have been an infection from the stress? The postal service didn't tend to the box well and it ended up in very poor condition. The bag that arrived in was leaking. Likely something got into the water and caused such? Just an idea.
    She has trouble eating flaked foods unless I crush them into tiny, tiny pieces. Eagerly eats Micro Worms with ease and has been noted to eat Fairy Shrimp hatchlings.

She will not stay still long enough, but I think I can almost see some eyes through her gravid spot, but again, it's hard to tell.

9. MasterBlue

Updates:
    Gravid Spot darkened again. May have aborted due to stress. May also still make a drop. I remain hopeful.

Added a Male Endler, one with a very blue dorsal fin. I am going to allow him to be her next mate. He doesn't seem interested oddly enough. May be her coloration? Her size?
    Noted a similar problem with my previous attempt at breeding guppies.

(BTW, a Fancy female crossed with a wild male yielded females with red tails. Interesting, eh? esp since she had a sky blue tail!)

10. MasterBlue

Sad news everyone. My Female I received from Dawn died about an hour ago during birth.
    She dropped one healthy looking fry and 6 stillborn. She herself turned belly up after the 6th. She was a nice fish. I will miss her.

You may lock this topic.

11. nossie

nossie Member

I'm sorry for your loss :C

12. MasterBlue

Meh. it happens. Some times things just go wrong. I've lost cats this way when I was a kid.
    I've had some of my other fish go this way. Normally the youngest ones. Sad, but true.

13. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

:( she was soo pretty too :(
    I have a male that I think is somehow related to her (maybe father...maybe simply the original snakeskin male I had and she may be the original snakeskin female). I haven't lost anyone as of yet so I am hopeful to see some offsprings and If i'm lucky I just may get one that looks like she did.
    topic locked as requested.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.