1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

40 gallon planted *Load Warning*

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by Anonymous, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Here are some updates on my planted tank and its inhabitants, opinions and advice welcome!

I have ordered more plants that should be here soon, I also added some in the order I received today from Singapore.
    planted16.jpg planted15.jpg planted14.jpg planted13.jpg planted12.jpg planted11.jpg planted10.jpg planted9.jpg planted8.jpg planted7.jpg planted6.jpg planted5.jpg planted4.jpg planted3.jpg planted2.jpg

2. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Love the gold nugget:) Your wisteria looks as though it could use a root tab and are those anubias I see "planted" in the substrate?

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

which anubias are you referring to?

4. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

the three in the foreground they are anubias aren't they?

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I think they are Hygrophila Kompakt, but thats just what I bought them as (ebay).

6. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Oh....I was afraid that if they were anubias you had the rhizome buried:)

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Your right wee-bay, their Compact Hygro's in the front and I do agree with petluvr in the sense that you might want to add a flourish tab...especially since the plants are probably stressed coming all the way from Singapore. I have to say that is a VERY nice piece of texas holey rock...did you have to drill it or did it come with those wonderful circular holes? Every piece I always see has teensy tiny holes and I defin. Love the pleco and gouramis :)

8. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I bought it the way it is! I paid more than the average piece usually costs, but I too loved the large holes! I add liquid ferts, I have never done the tabs I will look into them.

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Man, that is one sweet piece. I looked for one like that for months and could never score one..do you mind if I ask where you got it from (Fingers crossed online and that they have another similar to it)?
    If your adding liquid ferts they should do fine. Usually the tabs are to promote the root systems (I think the ones I used in the past were hagen nutri plant spikes, but I've heard good things of the flourish ones too).

10. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I got it from ebay (like about 50% of the things I own, the other half is from CL!), I want to say the seller was called something like texasartsource or soemthing like that. I used to just search texas holey rock on ebay and I found this one! Thanks for the compliments, I love it too!

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Thanks for the info...I think? that's the one I was checking out for listings of the holey rock. I did the same thing and searched holey rock and rock. If you come across another one similar PLEASE PLEASE let me know.

12. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Looks really good Nelson. Looks like some of the plants could use some fertilizer or some sort, as petluvr said.

13. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Let me know what I am doing wrong, I am adding the recommeneded dose of Flourish and Flourish Excel right after every water change (once a week). I will admit that I do not add flourish excel every day though.

14. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

In the beginning I would be sure to add Flourish Excel every morning. That's what I did on my Endler tank in VT and what I'm now doing here. After a few months I stopped adding it at all and everything is fine.

15. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

alright sounds good, I did just upgrade the light bulb as well so maybe that will help!

16. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Oh also, something I found that seemed to help a lot was Seachem's Freshwater Trace Elements.

17. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Alrighty, I will look into the trace elements and tabs. Thanks guys!

18. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Those plants are heavy root feeders which is why I recommend the root tabs. Flourish and excel are good but be careful with the excel as it MAY melt your anacharis.

19. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

ok, sounds good, what should I look for in the anacharis to prevent "melting"

20. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

It will look as though it is "melting" in the tank. Starts to look a bit slimey at first.