1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

African dwarf frogs

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by Leslie, Feb 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leslie

Leslie Thread Starter New Member

I am looking for some information on African dwaft frogs. I am going to start up my little 5 gal tank, maybe my 10. I am wanting to keep it with 1 female betta. I just need some information on them. as to who to not kill them. Do they do best in a tank with no gravel or sand? How many can live in a 5 gal? What is best to feed them? Just things like that.

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Fully Aquatic Frogs - Questions & Answers (here's a bit about them)
    and here's a great link with tons of information regarding them--> African Dwarf Frogs and Bettas

as for personal experience, all I can say is I kept them YEARS ago as the kiddos received this at x-mas--> http://www.amazon.com/American-Science- ... B00005C0VD

and shortly after I had an albino dwarf that lived in I think it was a 1-2 gallon plastic tank at the time and it lived on freeze dried tubiflex worms that you basically press against the inside wall of the tank for them. I used no substrate and I didn't even use a heater...but a word of advice- make sure you have a good fitting lid because mine escaped and was found scootching across the floor which freaked me out (and needless to say was given to the lfs shortly later as a "gift").

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2014
  3. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

you know they may eat thin fins of betta even a female betta.

4. Leslie

if i do a bare bottom tank how can i plant it??

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

potted plants, terra cotta pots filled with a bit of substrate and plant them inside of the pot, rock wool and hydropic plants (same thing as potted plants, but a diy version).

6. Leslie

I am going to attemp some more frogs. if it doesnt work out i will get some shrimp.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.