1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Apple snails 1 left

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by FishVixen, Jan 21, 2011.

1. FishVixen

FishVixen Thread Starter Active Member

Dang city water! I'm getting copper in the tap water and it's killed all but 1 apple snail, In the past 4 weeks I have lost 11 apple snails. I put them all in a 10 gal and using bought water for changes but I think it was too late. Today 3 more died leaving me one that isn't moving very much I think he's on his way out also. The nerite snails are actually growing and laying eggs all over and the MTS are no decreases. Just the apple snails are affected by it.No more snails till I get a RO system. (which my not be for awhile)

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I have city water here too Ursi, and I had issues with the Mystery snails...not so much with them dying from copper...but their shells eroding (low pH).

Sorry to hear you lost so many..that bites!

3. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

RO will cause their shells to rot pretty quickly, where are you purchasing them from?

4. FishVixen

FishVixen Thread Starter Active Member

All my snails were over 2 years in my tanks growing and doing well. When my fist size Ivory died I thought old age but 2 days later another one. so I checked with a poly filter and sure enough copper coming out of the tap. If you add nutrients to RO like calciums there shells will be strong.

5. James0816

James0816 New Member

Ouch! So sorry to hear about this. I love Briggs. It is so fascinating watching them cruise around. I have a few babes growing out right now when you're ready for some more.

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

This is why I hate city water. I wish I had well water at my new house. You never know what's going to come out of your tap from week to week.