1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

auratus turning dark grey (Information & Advice wanted)

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Anonymous, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Hi everyone, sorry for the absence things have been crazy around here lately. Was curious if anyone could let me know what is up with my auratus? I have 2 in with my other 2 cichlids and one is turning dark grey. I have been reading online about how the male will change colors, but was wondering if anyone here with real life experience could tell me what to expect? Does this mean I have a male and female that I should move to a seperate tank or will the be ok with the other 2 cichlids I have for the time being? None of them seem to be overly aggresive at this point, the all chase each other but there is not a dominant one at this point.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Re: auratus question

Are these fish in a 20 gallon tank ? The males will change color as they mature and that can often times be the turning point when things go really bad for other tank mates, especially in a small tank.

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Here's an ok pic of the male Melanochromis Auratus <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theexoticfish.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&p=56554#p56554" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=12&p=56554#p56554</a> that I HAD and I stressed HAD. The females are more of the yellow than the black. My male became so aggressive that he attacked my 7in FH.....He was Rehomed:)

4. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

If these fish are in a 20 gallon there are going to be more problems than just aggression.

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Yes, they are the ones in the 20 gallon tank. Will they be ok in the 20 by themselves? Or do I need a bigger tank for just them and leave the other 2 in the 20 gallon? I knew that I would be buying a bigger tank soon, but who should I be getting it for, and how big do you all think it needs to be?

6. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Also... my guy hasn't switched colors to that point, he is more like a dark grey wherever he was white like the other one before. Does that make sense?

7. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

PICS???

8. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I will try to get some tomorrow night, I haven't set this new computer up with my camera yet and I have to be up by 445am in the morning so it won't happen tomorrow. If I don't have to work late I will get them tomorrow though.

9. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

4:45 in the morning....that time really exists? :)

10. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I would say at least a 55 gallon tank

11. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Yep 4:45 exists..lol. I have 3 kids and have to get them off to daycare before I have to be at work 45 minutes from my house at 7am.
    55 gallon for just the 2 aratus or for all 4?

12. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

In a 55 gallon tank I'd only do one male with two females, and personally I think that's pushing it.

13. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

The most I would do is five or six with really good filtration.

14. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You'd do 5-6 Melanochromis Auratus in a 55 gallon tank ?

I would do a trio of them, one male and two females and add in a trio of Labeotropheus trewavasae but they would have to be in a 75 gallon.

15. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Yeah, given ample hiding space and filtration I dont see a problem with 1 male and 4 females

16. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Fill the 55 with rocks bottom to top so it only actually holds 20 gallons of water. :) Sorry, just my personal opinion that I wouldn't put those guys in a 55 due to their aggressive behavior.

17. MIKEJ0226

MIKEJ0226 New Member

I have a trio of chipokoe(sic) in a 60 long with 20 other fish and they don't bother anyone to much.

18. ted3325

ted3325 New Member

ive been away a long time and just came back and had to get into this . the auratus can change color for two reasons one it is a male no problem two it is a female that is scared by the male in the tank and this is away for the male to leave her alone . now there is a dominance factor also if you have two or more males the dominant male will have the darker color while the other might show as a washed out brown or grey.. about stocking your tank if your just breeding them , a one to four ratio in a 20 galon tank with plenty of rocks and hides is about right but for a show tank or for dislay you can have up to 20 in your tank provided you have overkill filtration and surfice airation .been doing this a long time and have two 125display tanks with approx 100 africans of all sizes mostly in the 4 to 6 inch range im from that school that believes that if you crowd africans they become less agressive it seems to work thks ted

19. Angus

Angus New Member

Auratus are anything but a fish to leave unattended with other fish.

They are perhaps ounce for ounce the most aggressive Mbuna of all possible species.

The Male will start to change color at somewhere around 2.5- 3 inches, at which time they will become sexually active.

At this time if you do not have a good ratio of m/f IE 1m/3-5 females there will be issues.

I would never consider placing even 1 in a tank any smaller than a 55 long.

This is just 35 years of experience talking..so take it for what its worth.

Cheers! Angus.

20. gsoul55

gsoul55 New Member

Are you trying to breed them? If not just keep the females they are much nicer looking than the males anyways. You should be able to keep 25 plus in a 4 foot long 55. Just do 25 - 50 percent water change every week. And you might want to get some dwarf mbuna species like demasoni of some of the afra's.