1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Loach Clown loach w/ any cichlids??

Discussion in 'Loaches, Eels, Bichir' started by stephaniebray, Aug 19, 2009.

1. stephaniebray

stephaniebray Thread Starter New Member

I have fallen in love with the clown loach. 3 tanks...which one do you think they would be best suited in. I'm thinking of getting 3 since they like to be in small groups.

The south african cichlid tank 55 gal(has about 15 assorted fishies and 1 pleco)

the south american tank 55 gal( 1 severum, 1 green terror, and 1 convict)

or the community tank-40 gal, which i believe is already fully stocked- 1 gourami, 9 assorted barbs, 1 pleco, 1 dwarf african frog, 2 mollies)

I guess my question is i would like to put them with my s. american's because its my favorite tank...is this feasable??

please also let me know if anything in my tanks is askew. I'm fairly new and love any info you guys can give me as i want happy and healthy fish!!

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I'd suggest none of your tanks.

Many will tell you they CAN get up to 12" and the minimum suggested tank size is 75g for them.

Many will argue you CAN keep them in smaller tanks (simply the growth will be stunted and smaller tanks can make them more prone to disease)....Also be aware, that it is recommended to keep them in groups of at least five with each needing their own shelter provided.

These species do best with sandy substrates a temp between 75-86F with soft (50 mg/l) and acidic (pH 6.0-6.5) water. Diet consisting of Prepared and livefoods.

Origin being Southeast Asia, where it occurs in various parts of Indonesia, including Sumatra, and on Borneo.

Temperament is lively and active normally.

3. gsoul55

gsoul55 New Member

Put them in your South American if you are going to get them. That tank has the least amount of fish already in it. I can honestly say the largest clown loach I ever seen in captivity was around 7 inches. They grow very slow. You will have a few years before they need a bigger tank.

4. stephaniebray

stephaniebray Thread Starter New Member

I think i'll hold off on getting them. Thanks for the info!

5. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

I had 2 in a 55 gallon with my Africans. They did just fine in there. They do grow slowly but will eventually need a bigger tank. Great fish though!!!

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Your welcome, they are very active...but will definately do better in a larger tank when full grown.

Just wanted to give you a fast rundown about them in case you were looking for some general info too ;)

7. MonteSS

MonteSS New Member

I have a single clown in my 75g CA tank. It does well alone. I got it at 3" in Feb and now its about 5" and fat so I guess they dont grow that slow. Its eats the same pellets and flakes as the Cichlids. It can get rather aggressive and will fight with the cichlids once in a while. Beauty though. I say get a single and put it in the CA/SA tank.

My 75 Gallon Cichlid Tank

....Bill

8. MonteSS

MonteSS New Member

Video of my clown fighting for territory with my Thorichthys Mixteco Gold. Odd that the clowns colors get duller when he/she gets pissed

Clown won :)

....Bill

9. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

I agree with dawn, don't forget they also are best keep in groups.

10. jasonG

jasonG New Member

And not a lot of people are aware of this but they like DARK tanks. Also they are very prone to Ick, and also if you see one laying on its side, its ok he's just resting. I would never have any less than 3. I am/was an avide Clown Keeper