1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Compatibility/Stocking Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by The Lurking Ninja, Sep 8, 2013.

1. The Lurking Ninja

The Lurking Ninja Thread Starter New Member

Hello All,

I am looking to acquire some new fish to add to my 39gal tank. I need some help choosing new fish to add to my tank.

Existing:
    1 x Angelfish
    2 x German Blue Rams
    2 x Zebra Danios
    1 x Siamese Algae eater

I am looking to add quite a few more.

I am looking to add Odessa Barbs and Mollies. Do you think if I got 5 or 6 Odessas that they would be fine with the existing fish? Where is my overstocking limit?

thanks,

Ninja

2. BarbH

BarbH Member

Hi Ninja,
    If you have not used Aqadvisor, this can be a good tool to help look at stocking. It is a good tool for getting a general idea. Your Zebra Danios should be kept in a group of 5. From what I have seen Odessa barbs are fairly peaceful when it comes to barb species. My only personal hesitation with keeping them with Angelfish is that they are very active. Since Angels are fairly sedate especially as they get larger I would be concerned of fish that are very active of stressing the Angelfish out. Have you thought about adding some bottom dwelling fish to the tank? You could do a group of something like corys to add interest and movement to the bottom region of your tank.

3. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

I would be more worried that the angel will kill the barbs and forget having molly babies survive in the tank. If you add a large enough shoal of barbs it should be fine just keep a close eye on them...cories would be nice but they may be bullied by the rams especially if they breed.

4. The Lurking Ninja

I do have quite a bit of stuff on the bottom of my tank so more bottom fish really doesnt do much for me. I also keep my tank around 80F. Ive heard that odessas like cooler temps. So mainly, I am concerned that the angelfish will be stressed out because of the odessas. Im mostly looking for colorful fish that will go well with the angel and rams.

I would add more mature mollies, not baby ones too.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  5. The Lurking Ninja

Here is an idea of my tank. Sorry its a horrible cell pic.

Attached Files:

6. BarbH

BarbH Member

Couple of fish suggestions that could work with your Angel and the temp you are keeping your tank at. Rummy nose Tetras are really nice and once they settle in their noses get bright red. I got mine from Preuss Pets in Lansing. Another tetra selection that I found which has been very nice is Hy511. I have seen them available at a few locations one of them being Preuss Pets. The other place is Highland Tropical Bird and Fish, it is on M-59/Highland Rd between Highland and Waterford. I got mine there, they sell them under the name of Candy Cane tetras. I keep my tank at 80 also and both of these species have done well at these temps.

7. The Lurking Ninja

Im thinking about getting Red Phantoms and hatchetfish. Any thoughts?

8. BarbH

BarbH Member

Those would both work well I think. The Red Phantom tetras are peaceful you would want a group of at least 6. Size wise they should be okay with the Angel since they have a more disc shaped body which would make them less likely to become Angel snacks, unlike a fish with a linear shaped body. The hatchet fish would add interest to the top of the tank, the common silver or marble tend not to be as delicate as others of the species. With hatchet fish you want to make sure you have a tight fitting cover, they are jumpers and if something startles them they will jump out of the tank.

I would suggest some floating plants to provide shade and sense of security, there are several options that you can choose from. The subdued lighting will also help to bring out the colors in the Red Phantom tetra.

9. The Lurking Ninja

Also just to ask, would guppies work in my setup? If so, which guppies would be recommended (colorful, non-aggressive, schooling)?

10. BarbH

BarbH Member

With guppies my concern would be their size, with a full grown Angel it is possible they may become snacks. Some people have had success with this combination, some of it depends on the temperament of the Angel.

11. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

Have you considered Colombian Tetras? They will add both blue and red to the tank and are large enough to not become angel prey