1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Discus Q and A

Discussion in 'Discus' started by Anonymous, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

1. Has anyone had luck with purchasing Discus over a web site?

2. My tap water is high in calcium, limestone, and PH(7.5)... would it be best to only use purchased RO water, or is there some other easier alternatives?

3. I have heard water temp needs to be above 90 deg... is this true? Or just used for parasite control?

2. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Send a pm to LemonDiscus. He's our discus expert :) I think he might know all answers

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Agree with Guido, as Lemon seems to be the main one keeping them on here.

4. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

By the way. He might respond late since he's really busy right now.
    I believe that topic is somewhere in the off-topic section

5. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

1 - Never bought them online and I would be skeptical because you cannont pick out the ones you want.

2 - Yes RO will be how you have to go. That or add Peat Moss to your filtration to soften the water and lower PH. If you cant hold a STABLE PH of 7.0 or lower.... dont get them

3 - Yes and no... it does not HAVE to be 90 and yes at 90 that IS parasite control but dont let your water go below 84

6. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks for your input LemonDiscus. I would love to do a Discus tank, but I am afraid that Austin water is just too hard and PH too high for me to deal with. It makes for great african cichlid tanks though!

7. LemonDiscus

Look into Hans Discus (German/Stenkder Discus)

They cost a bit more than some of the other breeders' fish but they are more tolerant to PH and Hardness.

Hans Discus Parameters
    PH 7.2
    Moderate Hardness
    Temp 84

They were raised in Germany and Maryland.... both of which have slightly harder and alkaline water than Discus usually withstand.

If you can keep to those parameters you should be fine.... I cant do them because I have Wilds, Asian Bred and Florida Breds.... Mine need the "standard" Discus parameters... The Hans Discus should work for you though. You may never get them to breed though...

Remember Acclimation is key and most fish will adapt to any parameter IF properly acclimated... again the eggs need soft water so even if you get a pair they may not be any good.

8. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I've breed Discus from Hans. Lots of petstores on the east coast are supplied with his fish. If you buy online, stay away from those places that sell them dirt cheap or assorted. Discus Madness is advertised in Tropical Fish Magazine. They seem reputable.

If you have hard tap water you can always buy a water buffer to lower the PH.

9. LemonDiscus

No water buffer skoolz.... they are really no good! Peat Moss in the filter is the best and most stable bet!

10. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

You'd know more about the buffer than me cuz I never used it. Just seen the product. I've always just used non ocean pulled driftwood to lower my PH, which has never been a problem for me since most of my fish are tank raised in slightly hard water.

11. LemonDiscus

I used the buffer... it adds too many phosphates and algae blooms are impossible to fight!

In a unplanted aquarium... the buffers are barely at par... in a planted one... worthless