1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Eyeless GoldFish

Discussion in 'Goldfish, Koi, Pond Fish' started by MasterBlue, Jan 3, 2011.

1. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Thread Starter Active Member

So, I sorta kinnda bought a goldfish today. (Never leave me alone while in a store.... I'll purchase stuff I have no business even thinking about getting!)

I was looking at the walmart tanks (of all places) and I seen this brilliant silver and black goldfish with bright red tips on his fins, and as I was looking at him, another customer came up and bought him.
    Well, since I seen one pretty one, I decided to keep looking... And I had another goldfish catch my eye... One with no eyes.

I had to have him!
    So I went and got the worker and asked her to get him for me, at this point we found there were more who were missing eyes, but not like infection or anything; a mutation. The socket wasn't empty, it was just not there. All the affected fish were missing the right eye this way, but only this one was missing both eyes (I can still see a socket, so he may have lost it due to a fight or something, but maybe not?)

Anyone ever had a completely eyeless goldfish?

For the time I'm gunna place him into the 50-something gallon and observe him. What I'll do after I've no idea, he does complicate my breeding program after all. (I don't expect a long life from him)

2. MasterBlue

3. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

If he had eyes are one point his eye sockets would be hollow, not covered looking like the picture seems to show.

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

now that's just wrong...poor goldfishy!

5. MasterBlue

I knew this. Just couldn't get a pic of the other one.... It would be kinnda neat to breed for eyeless goldfish, lol.
    He's doing alot better than I thought he would. Eating, and looks like he might even have some of the tank memorized or some such, he doesn't bump into the glass or rocks nearly as often.

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Still wrong, and to breed an eyeless goldfish..what are you thinking!!!!! I feel bad for the poor guy or gal :(

I'd use an example, but then everyone's skivvy's would get in a bunch, and by the way there's already an eyeless fish species out there, so no need to create a new one--> Astyanax fasciatus mexicanus (aka the blind cave fish).

7. MasterBlue

If you look at all the breeds of goldfish, such as the bubble eye and the other poor fish out there who can't see anyway, whats the problem with breeding for an eyeless Goldfish? The fish could, within reason and proper care, be a very interesting fish to keep.

But to ease your concerns, I've no interest in breeding for eyeless goldies, I don't have the time or space to start, and I'm not gunna abandon my Guppy's for it. I do, however, prefer the little guy looks. The eyelessness adds such a charm to the little one.

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

no worries, I feel bad for the bubble eyes too!
    And the ones that can barely swim (just can't recall their "type")...but I know I wouldn't want to see more on the market so to speak as I think it's cruel.

Your goldfish reminds me of the blind cave fish I saw at the zoo, my question is...does it eat at feeding time or does it moreso kinda luck into finding food by chance?

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

It's similar to "Mexican tetras". The ones found in caves are often eyeless after many generations because of the lack of light.

10. MasterBlue

At first he seemed to only luck up and find it, but last time I fed them he went right to the spot food was. Might have been a fluke tho. I'll get back to you on it.

11. MasterBlue

He's been dead a few days now. He seems to have gotten stuck in a rock and died there.... RIP odd Goldfish.

12. manta975

manta975 New Member

sorry to hear s/he has died, i have had 2 goldfish with eyes die of getting stuck somewhere.

13. bouncer36

bouncer36 Member

one my goldfish is blind looks like the one your did he or she is doing good