1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

finally dwelving into plants

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by manta975, Mar 17, 2011.

1. manta975

manta975 Thread Starter New Member

i just picked up an amazon sword (i know thats probably not what it actually is since there are so many hybrids and such) so i stuck that in my 10 gallon until it gets too big then i will move it to my 30 tall. Also anyone have some ideas for more plants i could get for my 10 gallon nothing high light or over about 9 inches i can get a pic up(tomorrow) so you all have an idea of what the tank looks like.

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

sword should max a 10g (specially with the roots).

But if your looking for something easy...I tend to favor the crypts (wendtii in particular).

3. manta975

ya i will move the sword once i get more plants in the 10 and i hear swords can get massive so i think even if i didn't get more plants i would need to move it eventually

do you know anything short that will slowly carpet i was thinking of micro sword(i think thats what its called and fits what i want)

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

They (micros) need good (high) lighting, what are you running twpg wise and bulb wise?

most of the ones that come to mind require high lighting.

for a good and FAIRLY easy carpet type plant I've always had luck with the dwarf sublatas, but again...you can use wendtii's to create a carpet effect too.

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

ps. being this is a small tank I'd invest into some good substrate...especially if your trying to grow plants out for another tank.

I personally love the Carib-Sea Eco-Complete Planted (black-dirt)...I didn't care for the red version.

I've heard lots of people swear by Aquasoil 2 (read up on this) & Cory's Baylee's Better Bottom (although I've never tried it)..linked below-better bottom, but can get better bottom off aquabid too.
    http://www.bayleesfishees.com/store/ind ... t&catId=36

6. manta975

i already have the substrait (because i wanted a black substrait and it was the only kind available) as for lighting i have some fairly strong lights. my hood can handle up to two 25 watt bulbs ( for reef systems)but at the moment i have two 15 watt i think so about 3 watts per gallon (inconsistent bulbs) also dont plan on using c02 so nothing that needs to much of that

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

inconsistend bulbs? *confused*
    are they plant bulbs (ie. 6700K)? standard flourescents, compact flourescent., t5?

what kind of substrate is it? (ie sand, gravel, brand?)

IF you want plants that are easy and really don't NEED co2 or much of anything I'd do Crypts, could give the sublata a try...but I think you'll be more pleased with the ease of wendtii imo. You can use the wendtii to create a nice carpet effect.

Java Ferns are easy too! I use to gently tie them with thread to a piece of driftwood (they'll root onto it). They'd be perfect for either the center or the back of the tank.

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Some other easy plants you may want to check out:
    Water Sprite
    Anubias Nana
    not a plant, but Marimo Balls

9. manta975

sorry meant incandescent not sure on the type of light they put out tho i will check when i get back from school .
    also look up the anubias those look nice so i might check those out

10. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

I got about half a dozen or so anubias here I am not using just got em in a tub, some are large some are small.
    If interested let me know I can snap pics of them NOW and what they looked like in the tank. If not I am going to float em longer till I need em.

Most of my 210g pics have them in there.

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

incandescents are good at getting ya diatoms and heating your water (at least that was my experience when I ran them over a 5g), and you'll want something like T5's or compacts in the 6700K - 10,000K range for growing plants. Another downfall of incandescents are that they cost more to run

Incandescent bulbs
    o Operation described here: http://www.goodmart.com/facts/light_bul ... agram.aspx
    o "Aquarium" 15 W bulb ~7.4 lm/W.
    o Color ~2850K