1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Hi - I love Guppies and am Guppy Guy!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by guppyguy, Jun 15, 2014.

1. guppyguy

guppyguy Thread Starter New Member

Hi there aquarium owners. My name is Mark and I love guppies. I've got two guppy tanks at home and one small one for fry. As guppies can breed so quickly and easily, I'm known to give away free guppies in my home town. Looking forward to being active here with all of you fish owners!

• Like Like x 1
  2. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

Hi Mark and welcome. Glad to hear that you have success with raising guppies. For some reason or another, we can not keep them alive for very long, maybe 4 to 6 months. We tried for just over a year and finally gave up, we had spent more money on trying to keep the guppies than we did on African mbuna cichlids (which we kept for 5 yrs).

3. guppyguy

guppyguy Thread Starter New Member

Hi Mark - thanks for the warm welcome. Guppies can be very fragile fish and much less hearty than cichlids. Did you have them isolated in their own tank or with other fish? Guppies also don't usually live nearly as long as cichlids, probably only about 1-2 years, maybe 3. I looked here and see a lot of people are into Endler's. It's like a bit of science to learn what works best including breeding. Don't give up! :D

4. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

After quarantine the guppies went in with some platys and some cory cats. It just got to the point to every morning we would find 2-3 dead guppies and sometimes would have a couple more dead when we got home from work. We didn't get the guppies from "chain" stores either (just in case you were wondering), got them from reputable local "mom & pop" fish stores or private breeders. At the moment we don't have any more guppies, the last one died last November some time. Maybe we'll try it again (guppies) some day or try endlers.