1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Ich / Ick how do i get rid of ick on my tetra.

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases & Cures' started by danio fan, Jan 1, 2014.

1. danio fan

danio fan Thread Starter New Member

i have them in chemicles and would like to do the heat method but am worried about the shrimp in my tank getting to hot. what do i do i do have a smaller tank.

2. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

Once again, welcome to the forum.
    If i remember correctly from you pm to me, you also have a snail(s) in the tank also?
    I did some research on ich and shrimp and from what i'm finding is that shrimp can't get ich. You could move the shrimp to another tank while this tank is being treated.

What treatment/chemicals are you using on them now? Like I said in the pm, the whole tank has to be treated, even though you only see the ich on a fish or two, there's also more spores in the gravel.

• Like Like x 1
  3. danio fan

okay i'm using quick cure.

4. buzz4520

I seen in you pm that you do have a snail in the tank, what kind? I've got a black mystery snail and survived 4 weeks in qt at a temp about 88*f (all of our new fish we get goes into qt at this temp).
    While I was researching, I came across this product called Kordon Ich Attach and it's safe to use with invertebrates and scaleless fish. Like I said before, you should treat the whole tank, so if you can get the Kordon Ich Attack, it may be the best route to go so you can treat the whole tank and the occupants won't be harmed.
    http://www.kordon.com/kordon/produc...ck-disease-treatment#compatabilities-toxicity!

5. danio fan

white mystery snail im not worried about but the shrimp i know you said to treat te whole tank but could i remove the shrimp

6. buzz4520

If you remove the shrimp then you should be able to do the heat method to get rid of the ich if you want to go that route or take the snail out also to treat the whole tank with the quick cure.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  7. danio fan

yes that is what i am going to do can you give me the basis on how to do it thanks

8. buzz4520

If the tank is due for a water change or with in a couple days, go ahead and do it with a good gravel vac. When filling it back up leave the water level just below the filter outlet to get more surface ripple (need more airation, higher water temp lower oxegen in water). Then slowly raise the temp up (few degrees at a time) until it gets to 86* - 88*f. Run the tank at this temp for at least 2 weeks (duing 2 gravel vacs a week to get rid of any dead ich). At the end of the 2 weeks and you don't see any more ich on your fish, you can then start to lower the temp back to where you want it.

9. danio fan

thank you so much buzz

10. buzz4520

Your welcome...any more questions just ask away.

11. buzz4520

How's your fish and tank doing ? Was you able to get rid of the ich ok ?