1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

how long until my discus are at full maturity/growth?

Discussion in 'Discus' started by jrow8162, Dec 11, 2009.

1. jrow8162

jrow8162 Thread Starter Member

I have a question. How long does it normally take you to get a Discus to reach maturity. I think I have one that is stunted. I have new angels in another tank that are growing at a rapid pace and the Discus does not appear to be growing with the rest. Its the cobalt blue one I showed you a few months ago...

2. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

They reach maturity between 12-15 months old... Remember if you buy them at about 3" they are about 3-4 months old then

Full size adult discus = 7" TL (Total Length from head to end of tail)

3. jrow8162

Maybe i'm not being patient enough. I'm hooked on Discus now. Dumping money on them like you wouldnt believe. Personalities are awesome. They go crazy when I walk up to the tank. Kind of like my Redtail Catfish used to do. Next thing you know they will be eating out of my hand....:)

4. LemonDiscus

Mine do all of that... I know what you mean (including eating from my hand....) I call them my little cuties... :)

5. jrow8162

Thats awesome! My Redtail Catfish used to eat from my hand. My kids loved feeding that fish. I'm really loving the personality... Very fun fish to keep!

6. LemonDiscus

I hold a chunk of frozen food and all of them even the wilds peck at it from my hands (and sometimes at my hands and miss the food :) )

7. jrow8162

Awesome!!!! Did you see my post about the Yo Yo loach?