1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Ick (Question regarding whether this is or isn't Ick)

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases & Cures' started by jrow8162, Jan 17, 2009.

1. jrow8162

jrow8162 Thread Starter Member

My Black Molly has white spots over his eyes and on his fins. Almost patchy like over his eyes. He doesnt rub against the rocks but he is swimming frantically in front of the filter. The guy at the pet store said he didnt think it was ick and gave me some Erithromycin, not sure if I spelled that right, to put in the tank. The fish looked better for a few days but now has the spots again. Is this ick? None of my other fish have any spots on them. Just the black molly. Haven't had the water tested in a while so i'm not sure what the levels are. My tank is a 55 long.

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Re: Ick or not?

Man I can't believe you bought a fish with issues and put him/her in a tank with other fish to make them susceptible. The worker who sold you it should be fired (but that's in a perfect world).
    Ich will look like fine grains of salt and sometimes the fish will "flash" or rub itself off of things such as decor or gravel. More than likely your dealing with ich. To treat it you must now treat your entire tank (useless to quarantine now).
    First remove any/all carbon in your filtration system (carbon will remove the medicine...and you want to leave it in the water to cure your tank).

Secondly if you haven't already done so, pick up some freshwater aquarium salt (Not the kind for saltwater systems as It's more potent) and dose accordingly-->Mollies actually do better in my experience with a bit of salt.

Next Slowly increase your temperature to 86F (if fish suddenly appear stressed kick it down a notch)...this will prevent the ich from reproducing. Also be sure to increase aeration since higher temps will definitely decrease the amount of oxygen in your water.

Pick yourself up a bottle of ich ridding medicine at your local fish/pet store and dose accordingly.

Finally, during treatment you definitely want to do VERY frequent (if not daily) water changes (getting this stuff out of your water is key)...don't forget to add Prime/equivalent to your tank before refreshing with new water. Also, be sure to medicate the new water being added. There should be no need to add salt to your replacement water. If you want to keep an eye on your salt levels I'd recommend a hydrometer (plastic ones are cheap and will give you a general idea of where your at).

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Oops... forgot to add a ps. for Anthony.
    Ps. Anthony you may want to move this over to freshwater illnesses.

4. jrow8162

I didnt buy the fish that way. I've had him for a while. I'm starting to think its ick too. Should I do a water change before or after the treatments? I try to do a 25% change once a week...

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I'm sorry, I didn't catch that Anthony did a write up on this topic and it's treatment. Please click the link and follow his instructions/advice.

Understanding Ich - Cure your Fish

I apologize for the misunderstanding..I thought you bought the fish with it.

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

If the white posts look like salt/sand specs on the fish it's ich. If they are white patches it's not ich.

7. jrow8162

So what would it be if they are white patches over the eyes? Like I said before, the fish swims at the top by the filter. He's got some spots on hit top fin but none of the other fish have this on them..

8. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Could be a fungus/bacteria if it is on they eyes. Water-changes need to be increased a bit.

My female Angelfish gets this occasionally.

9. jrow8162

They guy at Fin and Feather said the same thing. The medicine he gave me seemed to work for a while. Maybe i'll start doing 2 water changes a week. I've had fish with ich in the past and it usually spreads throughout the tank pretty quickly. This is only on one fish.

10. LemonDiscus

This IS NOT Ich.... I promise, if it is on they eye! It is a fungus or a bacterial infection.

It only affects 1 fish probably because it is the only one that has a little bit of stress. Stress lowers the immune system on fish opening the door for fungus/bacteria and other nasties to attack the fish.

Why just that 1 fish is stressed I am not sure, that you should know.... my Angel is sometimes stressed just from being a breeder. She has to defend and care for the eggs which does stress her and she gets this.

Change your water a bit more, maybe add salt and you will be good. Oh and lay off of the Ich meds! That will just stress the fish more and it will do nothing for the white in they eyes!

11. jrow8162

I haven't used any ich meds. I went to get some and the guy gave me the other stuff. He said if I needed more I could just come and get it. He didnt even charge me for it. I will change my water today and then again on Wednesday. I just took a picture of him. Maybe you will be able to tell from the picture...

12. LemonDiscus

That will help... yeah they guys at Fin and Feather are awesome!

13. jrow8162

Yeah, I go to the new one on Broad Street. The owner takes good care of me. Fish selection isnt very big yet but he orders me whatever I ask for... I'm uploading the pic now.

14. jrow8162

IMG_0319.JPG

15. jrow8162

Not the greatest picture but the best I could get...

16. LemonDiscus

I really cant tell anything from that picture.... are the white spots on the tail part of what you are talking about? Or is it just on the eyes?

17. jrow8162

He gets patchy white stuff on his eyes and some on the tail and upper fins.

18. LemonDiscus

Fungus. Treat with salt and change water more often than normal. Is this that catfish? And what size tank is it in again?

19. jrow8162

No, the catfish is gone now. I just have community fish now. Its a black molly. Tank is a 55 long. Ich would have spread to all of my other fish by now right?

20. LemonDiscus

Not necessarily, but its not Ich. Ich would as mentioned before look like the fish is sprinkled in salt.

Fungus would show in patches and only a stressed fish would pick it up. I got this with my Discus and treated successfully with no moralities using salt and frequent water changes.

If I could save Discus without loosing any, you can get that molly saved.