1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Fin Rot Is this fin rot?

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases & Cures' started by chunkslabdog, Jun 27, 2011.

1. chunkslabdog

chunkslabdog Thread Starter New Member

I have noticed on my three corys that their top fin is starting to fray and appears they have small chunks missing. Is this fin rot? They appear fine other than this, swimming normal and very active. The other fish have no signs of anything on their fins and the corys have no other signs on their other fins or body, etc. I have been doing 25-30 percent water changes every 3 days since I noticed. I had been doing that about every 10 days. Tank is not overcrowded,etc. I did go on vacation and my "sitter" may have overfed. I don't want to dump chemicals in the tank without a real need. They don't appear sick and it doesn't appear to be any worse than when I noticed about a week ago. I have not seen any other fish "nipping" at them. So...thoughts?

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

What else is in the tank besides the cories ?

3. chunkslabdog

I have six glo light tetra and four of the larger tetra...I think..they have the black fins, larger, can be nippy....sorry...can't remember the name. Plenty of room...36 gallons

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Have you tested your water with a freshwater liquid test kit?
    If so, can you please provide your readings? (not saying it's a husbandry issue, but have to eliminate water issues)

I'm thinking when you mention the black fins and larger tetra members that you're referring to black skirt tetras (which your definately right, can be nippy). I've had them in the past with corys and never saw them touch them, but they may nip at the glo-lights so just keep an eye out.

no photo, so I'm going to do a fast description of fin rot and you can judge whether or not it matches what your seeing with your corys.

Fin Rot:
    usually notice a milky white appearance to the edges of the fins/tailfin...
    as the disease advances you'll notice a raggedy look to the fins (like they are literally dissapating-breaking down)...
    the disease eats away the protective layer....
    then it normally will progress through the rest of the body.

5. chunkslabdog

I do not have a test that gives actual numbers, only colors. All are within safe area. When I noted the fins, I checked immediately, and all was ok but still began more frequent changes. The only fins that appear to be affected are the top fin. I don't detect any "milky" appearance.

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

without seeing it the best I can do is guess, but if all looks well besides the top fin...their active and feeding..no one else looks affected..and no sign of color change I'd guess you have someone in the tank going after them.
    Be on the safe side, if you have a nearby lfs take a water sample and have them check it just to be sure and add Seachem Prime with the partials as it has some healing properties to it (according to seachem rep I spoke with prior) and it will not harm ANYTHING (plants, inverts, etc).

7. chunkslabdog

and I am assuming if it is rot that the top fins will continue to get "smaller"? I will add that with the water changes...been adding something but not that one, will get it tomorrow.

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Yes, if it IS fin rot then their fins will continue deteriorating..should appear jaggedy...and usually get a milky'ish color to them.

Keep on top of your water changes as you have been doing and simply monitor to see if it's getting worse. High quality food and water changes might do the trick in itself, I know mine love Algae Wafers and Frozen Bloodworms :)

IF you choose to treat (which I know your not wanting to do), I'd go with some MelaFix being it's a natural anti-bacterial product which I've used for other things with no negative effects (just be careful NOT to overdose with it and remove any carbon in the tank while treating with it)...also increasing the oxygen in the tank using an airstone is always a good idea when treating ime

Either Way,
    Hope the corys get better for ya!

9. chunkslabdog

Live in a rural area with no local "fish" stores with the exception of a Walmart several miles away..where can I get the food you mentioned?

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

hmm...no brick and mortar fish stores like Petsmart/Petco?

Other than that I'd suggest online (Google>Shopping>Sort by Price> Low to High)

As for the Algae Wafers I use Hikari Brand, and another great line is the Spectrum H20 Stable Wafers, but I also know others that swear by the ones that KensFish makes. I buy mine in bulk so I get the Hikari ones from a local pet store.

As for the frozen Bloodworms I personally use are either Hikari Brand or H20Life (I know foster and smith is the cheapest online, but then you get nailed ordering anything frozen online because it needs to be overnighted). I tend to buy the h20Life bulk in the 1lb bags since it's not only cheaper, but the h20 life ones are larger and have higher protein...but I'm also feeding that as pretty much a staple to a 90g stocked full of discus and others and you have a smaller tank with less inhabitants.

Algae Wafers:
    {*}petblvd--> http://www.petblvd.com/cgi-bin/pb/HIK21 ... pc=froogle
    {*}ebay buy it now--> http://cgi.ebay.com/HIKARI-ALGAE-WAFERS ... 2563448d89
    {*}KensFish brand--> http://www.kensfish.com/product2636.html

Frozen Bloodworms (cubes are easiest to feed, and buying bulk h20 life brand is cheapest...plus they are larger than hikaris):
    {*}foster and smith aquatics--> http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/p ... atid=21996

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Ps. As a favor I'll gladly send you some Hikari Wafers if you wanna try them out (I buy mine in bulk).
    You'll just need to pay me for the actual shipping of course :)

Always glad to help a fellow fish fanatic out when I can ;)

12. Ben

Ben New Member

What part of VA are you in. Everywhere I go there is either a Petsmart or Petco.

13. chunkslabdog

One in Richmond, about an hour away. That is the closest to me.