1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Japanese Researchers Create See-Through Goldfish

Discussion in 'Goldfish, Koi, Pond Fish' started by cooltow1, Jan 11, 2010.

1. cooltow1

cooltow1 Thread Starter Member

On the weird side

Tech Daily reports
    See-through goldfish could be used for research purposes, or make an expensive pet

Japanese researchers have successfully developed a transparent goldfish.
    The clear goldfish allows observers to see the tiny fish's beating heart, which allows scientists to observe living creatures and reduces the numbers of dissections.

"You can see a live heart and other organs because the scales and skin have no pigments," said Yukata Tamaru, Mie University associate professor, in a statement to the AFP. "You don't have to cut it open. You can see a tiny brain above the goldfish's black eyes. Having a pale colour is a disadvantage for goldfish in an aquarium but it's good to see how organs sit in a body three-dimensionally."

The goldfish could live up to 20 years and can grow up to 10 inches in length. Researchers can view the fish as it grows from a speck up to a pound goldfish later in life.

Japanese researchers from the Institute of Hiroshima University are expected to begin mass producing see-through fish sometime in 2010, with the estimated price near $110.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It's really not new, we see a few of these in all goldfish strains. They just developed a strain that that breeds pure
    Rick
    13220_Goldfish.jpeg

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I seen this on another site and just shook my head after reading it, I mean I can understand the see-through "research" purposes...but still kinda freaks me out a bit and reminds me of a glass catfish.

3. nossie

nossie Member

There are lots of transparent fish, tropical among others :) There are those that are injected with color agents to get neon colors. (That usually disappear after time)

But you're right! I have a calico fish that looks very much transparent under the spots, I can almost see his ribs on the whiter side d: And I've recently seen a few sakura goldfish available on and auction that look very much transparent! Although, I'm still not too happy about this idea... and what "disadvantage in aquariums" were they talking about?

4. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Active Member

No pigments. So the skin doesn't protect the vital organs like it normally would. Sunlight and certain bright lights could be fatal.

5. nossie

nossie Member

I see. That's a pretty big disadvantage o_O

6. cooltow1

athegab.org_images_Anatomy_GoldieBrain.jpg

This fish does belong to me but to Fizgig777 that post at a goldfish forum.
    This is the only part of the fish that is transparent

Rick

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Now that's kind of interesting. I wouldn't think their brain would be that big.

8. cooltow1

You wouldn't think so
    Goldfish do have memories however elementary it maybe.
    And considering they use about 80% of their brain contentiously searching of food,
    and the fact that goldfish are the PIGS of the aquarium world.
    I guess their brains are about the right size.

Rick

9. nossie

nossie Member

Goldfish are really smart! Compared to the usual belief that they can only remember the last 6 seconds, they can be taught to push a little football into a goal for a food reward ;) You do need memory for that kind of things, right?

They're so full of personality that they need a brain at least of this size!

10. cooltow1

They definitely do have personalities
    I have a 8 year old Oranda that likes to be petted and handled when you put your hands in the tank
    She learn all this without food rewards.
    there's a video of it some where on site

Rick

11. nossie

nossie Member

Oww, that's so sweet! c':
    I noticed a similar trait in my Orandas! They seem to be extra snuggly ;) I noticed that since they got very friendly already by the end of the first week I had them! :) Compared to my fantails and telescope they got used to me and started to like me really fast!

12. metrofish

metrofish New Member