1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

LFS in Richmond

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by MonteSS, Dec 28, 2008.

1. MonteSS

MonteSS Thread Starter New Member

Looking on the internet I found numorous fish stores in the Richmond Virginia area.

Found this online. Anyone try any of these stores? Mainly looking for CA's

Thanks....Bill

Fin & Feather Pet Center 5208 Lakeside Avenue 262-6681
    Fish Tales 4740 South Laburnum Avenue 222-9202
    Fish World 11634A Busy Street 379-2466
    Crabby Island 11500 Midlothian Turnpike 594-3598
    Arnie's Pets 2500 Turner Road 727-5000
    Azalea Aquariums Azalea Avenue 329-5126
    PETsMART 5515 W Broad Street 282-6455
    PETs MART 7504 W Broad Street 672-0137
    PET sMART 1276 Carmia Way 897-9490
    Pet World Chesterfield Meadows Shopping Center
    6527 Centralia Road 748-3620
    P J Pett's 3536 West Cary Street 359-3445
    Pet Club 1517 North Parham Road 282-0790
    Pet Club 10454 Ridgefield Parkway 741-5078
    Pet Club 2009 Huguenot Road 272-3540

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Moved to the "Fish Store" section.

3. lostanime

lostanime New Member

CAs?

I frequent FishWorld on busy street at least weekly. It's saltwater only. The owner, Joe, is incredibly knowledgeable and all of his staff are accomplished in their various marine specialties. His store has been around for over 20 years and is incredibly clean, stocked with healthy fish, beautiful corals, and reasonable supplies. I've never had any diseases from their fish, and I've never had a coral from them die.

Richmond Aquarium on midlothian is mostly saltwater, with a very small freshwater section. They get some of the more rare fish of the trade, but many of the fish I've bought from them introduced diseases into my quarantine tank, and many of the corals I've acquired from them were difficult to salvage. Their equipment isn't that great and horribly priced, but it's the closest saltwater store so if I'm in a bind I normally swing by their place on the way to others.

Atlantis Aquariums (I believe on parham?) has the best selection of corals in the area, and probably the best selection on equipment too. Marv, the owner, is knowledgeable and most of his staff are frag/coral junkies :D Their equipment is some of the cheapest for a salt specialty store in the area, and they normally have a few ultra-rare fish but their fish selection as a whole didn't knock my socks off.

PetClub is absolutely horrible as far as their saltwater section goes, but freshwater's great.

That's about all the Richmond LFS advice I've got :)

4. steves_kiki

steves_kiki New Member

petco has an OK fish selection too. and you cant forget the walmarts! (they have some interesting stuff at the walmart fish section) as for crabby island, that address is chesterfield town center and they usually just sell hermit crabs at christmas time... but i havent seen them there in quite a few years.... golly- i havent worked at that mall in like 3 years... and they were there before that... and i cant find arnies pets to save my life (i used to live off of turner) and perfect pets has an OK selection which is on broad street.... i know there are more... but i cant remember :)
    ~kin

5. MonteSS

I heard Azaleas is the best in Richmond area.

....Bill

6. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

He has the best stuff but the owner is a jerk! I prefer Fin and Feather on Lakeside Ave instead. But they do not do saltwater anymore which would move you to Azaleas.

7. MonteSS

Ya. I asked the owner if he had or could get any Thorichthys. He said in his 30 years he never heard of such a thing.

He id say they had a special on some "rare" Blue Convicts tho LOL :)

....Bill

8. LemonDiscus

Yup, he also told me that Discus should be kept in Hard, Alkaline water! He insisted that the books are all wrong, that they are all out of date and that the only reason people think Discus should live in soft, acidic water is because people waited until the dry season on the Amazon to pick out the discus. He also tried telling me that the "Mixing of the Rivers" is just a short period phenomenon and does not happen all year. He said that the Rio Negro was a white-water river.....

I could go on-and-on. Needless to say, I just wont go in there at all now!

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

There's also Atlantis in Richmond that is supposed to be a very nice place. I haven't made it there yet though.

10. lostanime

lostanime New Member

+1 regarding Azaleas, wont go there now.

+1 regarding Atlantis - it's saltwater only but shaweeeeeeeeeeet corals there.

11. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Oops, yeah forgot to mention it's saltwater only.

12. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

There's a new Fin and Feather on Broad street next to Contes Bicycle shop. They aren't as stocked up on fish as they are in Lakeside but the owner will order whatever you ask him for. Their prices are awesome. I lost one of my fish I bought there 2 weeks ago. I bought a few today and he replaced the one I lost for free...

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

hi guys! i'm new here - first post - haven't even had a chance to go introduce myself yet. BUT... i do have an interesting azalea's experience.

i went in there for the first time a few weeks ago (native to richmond, used to LOVE pet club on parham for freshwater, and am heartbroken that they closed), and wanted some unbiased advice. i was always an oscar/aggressive fish owner, and have a new 55g setup that i just wanted as a nice peaceful community tank.

well, you're right, the owner is a jerk. after walking around for a while (and being hit on by a random guy in there), i said "ok, i just want some honest advice, i'm used to having oscars and other large cichlids, but i want to start a docile community tank, and i want any and all creative ideas..."

he launches into how i don't know what i'm talking about because a "community tank" is any tank with different types of fish in it, etc etc and that he can't really make any recommendations based on my description because i could want discus for all he knows (then asks me if i know what a discus is).

am i the idiot here? i know that semantics could bring you around to his argument, but when you say "docile community" i think that pretty much lowers the bar to a specific subset. eugh.

14. LemonDiscus

Yup... Horrible place it is! A shame that he has some of the best products and livestock in Richmond :confused:

15. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

Lemon Discus is right on. Fin and Feather is probably the best one to go to. They just opened a new store on Broad Street. He doesn't have a lot of fish yet but he's slowly getting more. The one in Lakeside is awesome! The owner is very knowledgeable and super cool. Well priced and fish are always healthy. I also like the Pet Club. The one on Parham was my favorite but they are closed now. There was a guy named David that used to manage that store. He was really cool and knew a lot about fish. I'm not sure if he moved to another store but I know they moved all of their inventory to the south side location.

16. LemonDiscus

(Pet Club) Yes they moved to the Hugeunot Rd location... they used to have bot locations and they just merged to the one....

17. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

I was sorry to see them go. I just stick to Fin and Feather now...

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

i was really disappointed in fin & feather the last time i was there. the tanks were FULL (like, can't see the fish full) of algae and i heard a rumor that corporately they are moving away from fish altogether (don't see how they can do that without major rebranding). the new one on broad has a VERY limited fish selection right now (maybe 10-15 tanks), but i'll keep an eye out for it to improve.

great news about pet club though - i will definitely be heading over there to check out the huguenot store.

19. LemonDiscus

Yes unfortunately they are moving away from fish. They pretty much have done already what they are going to do.

They moved the fish from the large part (the section where you walk in) to the smaller part (over in the room on the far right). Basically they switched the dog and the fish sections around.

They also removed ALL of their saltwater tanks and fish. All they run now is fresh. It should stay like it is. Keep in mind they will order ANY fish for you they can get. (contact them on a Monday and you get your fish on Wednesday)

As far as the green water is concerned it is MUCH better to have green water/algae than it is to have nothing. Remember if the dont have plants (they dont) in the tanks with the fish, the nitrate levels go up. The algae, even though it is ugly, is actually quite beneficial to the health of the fish.

They also keep their tanks separately and NOT on a system, preventing cross contamination of illnesses. Petsmart, even though they are cleaner (usually) are all on a few large systems so if one fish gets sick almost all of them do.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

all good points. thanks for the update!