1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Light fixture

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by bouncer36, Aug 4, 2012.

1. bouncer36

bouncer36 Thread Starter Member

Hi just wonder if this is a good light for my fishtank it has two bulbs 6500k daylight. Is it good for light for live plants

uploadfromtaptalk1344131178852.jpg

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

what size tank and what are the watts of the bulb? (t5HO is high range lighting...it's what I use on my 90g due to its 24" depth).
    high lighting normally means algae when not using co2.

3. bouncer36

Its a 55g. 54w and it has 2 bulbs. I am using a co2 booster in my tank

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

should be good then as long as it has descent reflectors...if not you can use aluminum foil or paint the inside white for optimal reflection.

mines got 4 bulbs over a 90g, with 2 over a 55g and co2 you should be okay...if algae becomes a problem you can always try TRUE siamese algae eaters (young ones- because the older larger ones get lazy) or a couple bristlenose plecos (harmless and wouldn't bother anything in the tank, but do require driftwood to rasp on).

5. bouncer36

I have 2 common pleco. Yea I know now that they will get too big for my tank. I wonder if the pet store will take those off my hands and trade me 2bittlenose ones they stay small. I have driftwood in my take

6. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

Be sure to use a timer. If algae starts back off 1/2 hour of time and add more plants.