1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Ich / Ick My tank has Ich. =\

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases & Cures' started by toxxxic.kitten, Sep 18, 2011.

1. toxxxic.kitten

toxxxic.kitten Thread Starter New Member

Well, my tank was fine when I left on Friday for the weekend. I get home and check on my Tiger Barb tank and they all have ich. I read through the ich article in this section and had a question. Do I need to raise the temperature slowly and then add table salt or do it at the same time?

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I would only try raising the temp first. That alone should work, if it does not then you can add some salt to the tank.

But yes, raise the tank slowly. Normally about 2-3 degrees an hour is recommended.

3. toxxxic.kitten

About how many days should it take for the ich to go away if just the warm temperatures work?

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

In my experience you should see an improvement within a couple day. The temperature must remain at 86-87 (At the bottom of the tank, where the ich will settle) for (if I remember correctly) 7 days. Check the ich thread for exact times as I don't remember them off hand.

5. toxxxic.kitten

I'll re-read the thread and if it isn't gone in 7 days with just the warm temperatures then I will add some salt and see if that helps. I'm going to use ich medication as a last result if I can't get it to go away this way or if the fish don't die on me first. Do I need to do water changes or anything? And when would be a good time to replace the filter cartridge?

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Wait on a water change until you complete the 7 day temp raise. Then vacuum the substrate really well as you're doing the water change. That will remove any ich that has fallen off the fish.

7. toxxxic.kitten

All right. Thanks so much! :D I hope I get rid of this "ick"y stuff. lol.

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You will. Just takes some time and know-how.

9. toxxxic.kitten

So, it has been a week and a day since I've upped the heat to 86*F in my Tiger Barb tank and everyone looks back to normal. Should I keep the heat up for another three days just to be on the safe side? What is my next step? Should I replace the filter cartridge and do a water change and then lower the temperature back down a bit?

10. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

What I would do is this, so it's less stressful on the fish... Lower the temp and let it drop by itself. Then do a water change vacuuming the substrate really well and change the filters. You shouldn't have to raise the temp again.

11. toxxxic.kitten

I had to put a heater in the tank to raise the temps - should I just take it out and let it drop back down to 76*F gradually on its own?

12. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

The heater doesn't stay in there all the time ?

13. toxxxic.kitten

No. The water stays at 76*F without the heater.

14. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

No offense but I doubt your water stays at a stable 76 day and night. This could be the cause of your ich outbreak. Temperature fluctuation will cause stress which weakens the fish's immune system which then can cause ich to take over.

15. toxxxic.kitten

I check on it daily and it stays at 76*F. I check on it in the morning when I get up around 9:30 AM every morning and once during the afternoon around 12:30 PM and at night before I go to bed, and it stays a constant 76*F unless every morning I get up it gets to 76*F when I wake up. The tank is located in my room which is in the basement. Right now it is at 80*F since I'm slowly brining the temperature down from the 86*F I had it at. I will just leave the heater in anyways.

16. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I would suggest leaving it in there, even if you keep it set at 75ish.

17. toxxxic.kitten

Another question - how much of the water should I change?

18. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

A good 50% but the water amount isn't as important as making sure you get all the substrate cleaned.