1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

need gravel alternatives

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Leslie, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Leslie

Leslie Thread Starter New Member

Substrate Alternatives BESIDES Gravel (Suggestions)

I was woundering if you can use something besides gravel in a tank. i never see any pretty gravel unless it is the flat marbles. And i want to do something different.

2. crazhrse

crazhrse New Member

i have started using crushed coral in all my tanks and i love it

3. Leslie

Leslie Thread Starter New Member

I didnt know you could use it in freshwater.

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yep, I use crushed coral substrate in all my freshwater tanks.

When I purchased it from one fish store (I needed some extra) the girl at the check out said to me "You know not to put this in freshwater right?" I gave her a funny look and just said "Yeah, I know.". :roll: It's perfectly fine to use in freshwater tanks. It only helps to buffer the water to a stable pH of about 7.6ish (If I remember correctly).

5. crazedpuffer

crazedpuffer New Member

I've had sand in FW, it's annoying. If you don't stir it weekly sand pockets can build up and potentially can kill all your fish.
    I like Fluorite, it looks nice, and it's kinda likea fine gravel. It needs to be rinsed really good though.

6. eeyipes

eeyipes New Member

MTS snails burrowing in sand can help prevent those toxic pockets.
    In my next tank I'm going to try some sort of carpet plant, so pretty gravel won't matter much.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I use crushed coral via the forums suggestion and love it, WASH IT WELLLLLL!!!!!!!!! I mean wash everyday for three days all day, ok maybe not that much but you will be happy you did. I did not and am paying the cloudy water price until I get it cleaned up.

8. trajik ink

trajik ink New Member

i've used crushed coral as well as sand. if your going to use sand get lots of snails to keep it clean, you don't want to be vacuuming it or stirring it up,it make a mess!!

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I've used pool filter sand (looks like beach), eco-complete planted substrate (looks like dirt), absolutely nothing on the bottom (bare bottom) of the tank and sat it on a black piece of fabric to make it look like the bottoms black, marbles..not a good choice since it seems the food and waste falls between them and makes for more frequent cleaning, and even rock such as slate which covered the entire bottom![/quote]

10. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

Play sand or pool filter sand are the cheapest options.