1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Oddball Pets & Aquariums

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by MOD_Dawn, Nov 4, 2009.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Thread Starter Active Member

Oddball Pets & Aquariums
    262 Joseph Street
    Pittsburgh, Pa 15227

Store Hours:
    Monday-Sat: noon to 8
    Sunday: noon to 4

http://www.oddballpets.com/index.html

:cool: Current Sale (Nov. 6th-8th, 2009) sale looks really good to me...I cherry picked through it and am going to check out these which are part of the sale:
    .99 Cent FISH!!
    Black Neon Tetras
    Albino Cory!! (we raise this fish in OUR hatchery so you know it's awesome!)

I also want to check out there Rummynose Tetras & Blue Tetras which are being listed as "New Fish This Week". Maybe I'll even get lucky and they'll have some healthy looking Hatchets there...I'll post my review on the store when I return.

So far I can tell you that through several e-mail correspondences with Stephanie, that she was awesome in answering my questions and the response time was amazingly fast...I even received responses to my night time "after hours" questions!

I also spoke with her on the phone to pre-order the discus since I was unable to use their webstore for some unknown reason (wanted to use PayPal and in store pickup and it wouldn't allow me) and she came across as an extremely nice person. I was given options on picking up my fish- picking them up on the spot or having them held at the store for a quarantine period. This is the first time I've ever had a store offer to quarantine for me ;)

2. MOD_Dawn

Okay, just got in and I have to say at first I was a bit taken back...it reminded me of a large garage. Painted on the white bldg. was the name of the store and a arrow pointing to a grey door that had a sign on it stating to "enter here".

I was almost uneasy about entering, but when I did I immediately saw a multitude of aquariums inside the dimly lit bldg. Numerous tanks with plants and fish suprised me...what suprised me even more was that NONE of the tanks had anything "dead" in them.

Pricing I felt was very reasonable...actually MOST items were cheaper than Elmers Aquarium in Monroeville, PA <a class="postlink" href="http://www.elmersaquarium.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.elmersaquarium.com/</a>
    Actually, priced cheaper and sized larger to boot!

There plants blew away any that I had seen in any lfs that I had been to (Elmers, Petco, Petsmart) and were also priced below the norm.

Employees were extremely friendly and more than willing to help...I'll definately be going back for aquatics when the need/whim is present!

What did I buy?
    2 pairs of Endlers that were priced at $5.00 a pair (going in the 10g)
    20 Black Neon Tetras that were on sale for $1.00 ea
    10 Albino Corydoras that were also on sale for $1.00 ea

*Kicking myself for not picking up at least 10 more of the black neons*

Overall recommendation....you'll be suprised when you pull up not to see any glass windows that allow you to see inside, but you will be amazed at the wealth of species inside! If you're in the area of this establishment (of which I learned was there for a lil' over 7 years)...definately pop in and take a look, I'm pretty sure you'll find something that will catch your eye!

3. MOD_Dawn

Just a fast overdue update,
    I ordered Hans Discus through there store...they were nice enough to even to handle the quarantine process for me being I didn't have a spare tank to do it myself (or room for one for that matter), even put my discus in there own tank with my name on it!

I simply called ahead when I was ready to pick them up just to make sure they weren't super busy...yea, it takes a while to net them and bag them with oxygen!

I'm really glad I ordered through them and will more than likely be doing so again in the near future.

I have to say BOTH Dave and Stephanie were extremely knowledgeable and very nice...even though I'm used to driving a bit closer to my area I'll have to step out of my comfort zone and become more familiar with there store location!

4. Wiggles92

Wiggles92 New Member

When is this store open?

I have been wanting to check out some of the fish stores in the Pittsburgh area, so I would like to check this place out.

5. MOD_Dawn

6. Wiggles92

Wiggles92 New Member

Thank you!

I'm not quite sure how I missed that from the first post. facepalm

7. MOD_Dawn

LoL, I have many a days like that.
    hehe!