1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Open to opinions for my soon to be planted 90!

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by Jamison St, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Jamison St

Jamison St Thread Starter New Member

Hello all! I have finally acquired my 90 gallon tank ive been so looking forward to. I plan to do a dirted substrate with pool filter sand covering it. I hope to soon get a hold of a fluval 406 canister filter to start my fishless cycle and will eventually be running two canister filters most likely. There is no such thing as over filtration! The tank currently came with two 48 in. old t12 full spectrum bulbs.

Here's the part where you guys come in.
    Opinions on stocking. Id like to have a school of celestial pearl danios a few coreys and some cherry shrimp. What do you think could go with this stock? Ive read predators make these fish school tighter so maybe gouramis? Dont want to lose any shrimp though.

Opinions on plants and soil. I think im going to go with miracle grow organic potting soil. Not 100 percent sure though so if anyone has had good experience with another soil please let me know. As for plants id like to keep it fairly simple. I like plants like dwarf sag and star grass. Plants that dont get too tall that I can easily maintain. But there are so many options it can be overwhelming haha.

Finally opinions on lighting. I will eventually get a new lighting fixture but im not sure whether to go with an led fixture or some nice t5s. What is the best setup for plants? I feel as if my lighting is good enough I wont need a co2 setup to keep my plants looking nice.

Thanks for any and all advice!

2. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

I suck at stocking but you could do quite a school of danios and several gouramis depending on the type. I have never used potting soil substrate and to be honest have had the best luck with my low/medium light plants in simple gravel. Figure out your lighting before thinking about plants. I know nothing about the LED's I use T5HO on my tanks. The lights can also be dependent on the plants as well, if you want simple plants then you don't really need to spend the extra cash on light use what you save for more plants or stock :)

3. Jamison St

Jamison St Thread Starter New Member

Very true lol but because of the depth of the 90 im afraid those old t12s just wont cut it