1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

oscar keeping q's ??

Discussion in 'New World Cichlids' started by blowfishRus6, May 19, 2010.

1. blowfishRus6

blowfishRus6 Thread Starter New Member

from what i have read an ideal ph for oscars is anywhere from 6.0 to 7.5. i saw another place that said 7.2 is ideal. so basically my african cichlid set up would work. 7.5 ph.

im getting burned out on the africans and want to go to some oscars. looks like all i have to do is swap the fish out.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

The 7.5 will be fine. What size tank ?

3. blowfishRus6

75 gal.

i had a jack dempsy and a gar in it before then went to the africans for there colors. but now im looking for a more interactive fish and i have always enjoyed oscars.

4. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

my water is 7.0 - 7.2 and my oscars are doing great. i agree with anthony, oscars will do fine in 7.5 .

5. jasonG

jasonG New Member

You will THROUGHLY enjoy your Oscar...They are at the TOP of my Favorite list.

Give him plenty of tank and things he can drag around, ie fake plants and he'll love you.

I miss my Oscar, and one day I will have another one.

6. blowfishRus6

my dad always had oscars when i was growing up and they always were a fascinating fish.

i have two right now in a 75gal with some fake plants and a few sticks on the bottom and thats about it. im feeding them hikari cichlid gold and there colors are starting to get alot nicer from when i brought them home and there growing quick.

i do have a question tho, i have a 10gal feeder tank set up. i stocked it with 15 or so fish hoping they would breed. after a while i figured out they were minnows and well there getting big but i dont think they are reproducing. i have heard guppies reproduce easy and well do i need to remove the minnows before i put guppies in there and or is there easier feeder fish for the oscars to try and grow and mate in my 10gal???

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

10g...just about any livebearer. Guppies are usually the cheapest since you can get them normally for $1.00 when they go on sale at Petsmart/Petco..etc.

I'd remove the minnows as they are avid eaters and may outcompete the guppys for food. Can always try it and see first before pulling them, just be prepared in case they eat the food before it even hits the water. Lol!

8. blowfishRus6

i wish they were 12 cents a piece like the minnows :/

ill just start feeding the minnows out and give the guppies a try.

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

well feeder guppies are about that price.

10. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

I've seen feeder guppies on sale at Petsmart for 10 for $1.00

11. blowfishRus6

i gotta go and check it out, most of the feeders i see are minnows or gold fish.

guppies have the bigger tails dont they??

12. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

not feeder guppies. They sort of look like endlers but a little bigger.

13. blowfishRus6

i looked up endlers on yahoo. some of them look like minnows, some look like fancy guppies.

ill have to browse around and see what i find.

14. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

check out Aqua-Bid. Someone my have a lot for sale.

15. blowfishRus6

i checked out aquabid for picture refreshes, there is so many different kinds tho its hard to get an idea.

ill check out the local stores later on today. looking to keep the price down since there just going to get eatin anyways.

16. blowfishRus6

a little video i have. im trying to get rid of all the minows, thats why so many are in the tank. i found some feeder guppies for 25 cents a peice (did not make it to petsmart)

anyways, 2 oscars (still pretty small, adding another one t/m) one pleco, two small algae eaters (surprised they have not been eaten yet, they kinda act like tank mates, does not mess with them) 1200gph sump going thru a 5gal bucket of filtration, 300gph filter just churning the water.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOUP6IYc9Tc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOUP6IYc9Tc</a>

how many kinds of oscars are there?? i think im gonna end up with about 4 in all and am trying to get one of a different kind each time.

hope you enjoy, any feed back is appreciated.

17. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

your fish and tank looks real good ! imho i wouldn't add anymore oscars to this set-up, it's not going to be big enough, especially if your planning on getting 2 more. oscar's can grow at a rate of one inch a month for the first 10 -12 months, if you were to get an oscar today say at 3 inch by the end of the year it'll be about 10+ inch. i've got 3 oscars and a jack dempsey, they are in a 125g, they've been in this one for just over 1 1/2 yrs and they're out growing it. one of the albino's (my avatar) is about 13inch, the other albino is about 12 1/2 inch, the tiger o is about 11 1/2 inch, the jd is about 9 1/2 inch. i'm not trying to discourage you or anything, just trying to give some friendly advise.

18. blowfishRus6

i know they get pretty big, i was just thinking with a health well filtered tank i could keep 4. i had a jack dempsey that was about 8in and with nothing in the tank i think it might have accommodated 4. well see, if i gotta take them out then i got to take some out.

19. blowfishRus6

btw thanks for the compliment. after looking at it, im gonna keep it at 3. i got another one today that was larger and it put it more into perspective.

they all huddled in the corner when i let it in, and then they started rubbing next to each other and flitering there fins. i have not seen the other two do this.

20. blowfishRus6

i like the look of this, but its also twice the size of my tank.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChXYBazID9k&feature=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChXYBazI ... re=related</a>

i want to add another pump in the sump, 1000gph. and run two overflows into 2 different 5 gal buckets. then i had some ideas for my hang on back filter for up in the tank. what can i say, i like clean water.