1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Plecostomus - How many pleos in one tank?

Discussion in 'Plecos, Sucker Cats' started by bouncer36, Jul 4, 2012.

1. bouncer36

bouncer36 Thread Starter Member

how many can you have in a tank i have one but i am starting to get algee on things in my tank i don't know why my pleco isn't eating it

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

what type of pleco do you have? This is your 55g right?

3. bouncer36

I not for sure what type he is and yes he is in my 55 tank cant seem to keep one alive in the goldfish tank

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

can you upload a picture of it...different types of plecos require different care (food/driftwood/etc).

5. bouncer36

It the plecotumus
    uploadfromtaptalk1341574235478.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1341574250711.jpg

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I can't tell by the photo what type you have (at best GUESS it's a common), so I can't give you any solid information like what temp they should be at..the ideal pH for it...whether it has special diet requirements (such as driftwood).

If I were you I'd
    1) test the water to make sure it isn't a water chemistry issue using a quality LIQUID test kit. Api makes easy to use affordable ones including their popular master test kit.
    Sidenote: Most local fish stores will test your water for free (ie. Petco/Petsmart)
    2) make sure there's enough algae inside the tank. If not supplement it with a quality algae wafer like Hikari Brand ones. You can also feed cucumber, zucchini, and no-sodium french cut canned green beans (when I bred bristlenoses they LOVED cucumbers and the french cut canned green beans). Most plecos also eat a small amount of meat in their diet (ie. cut up shrimp, cut up earthworm).
    3) Looks like you already have a piece in there, but just in case it's a fake piece I'd recommend some sort of natural driftwood in case it's a "rasping" species (Ie. Malaysian driftwood will sink immediately).
    4) Provide a darkened hiding spot to help reduce stress (you can use things like a tipped over terra cotta pot, pvc tube, caves-both pet store bought and home made, etc).
    5) Keep a steady water temperature (with livebearers I'd aim for 78-80F).
    6) Assure good water oxygenation and movement (ie. waterfall effect of filter, powerhead to stir water, adding airstone, etc.).

7. bouncer36

I have two real driftwood pieces in there there is alge growing it all my fake plants and my dragon head airstone but he is not taking care of it

8. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

seeing that your pleco looks to be a common pleco and will grow to 18 - 24 inches (will out grow a 55g aquarium), i wouldn't get another one. some common plecos tend to get a little lazy with algae clean up the older they get. i've got one that's about 16 inches and would rather clean up the scraps from my oscars and jack dempsey.

9. bouncer36

well if he doesn't start doing may have to give him to someone and get another one lol i can't stand to see algee in there what else will eat the algee i can't have ghost shrimp my dragon goby may eat them, and my serpa tetra will eat them too.

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

• True siamese Algae Eaters- eats green, brown, and brush
    • chinese algae eater- pretty much only eats it off when young (like the common pleco)
    • Bristlenose Pleco-peaceful and only gets 4"

• Like Like x 1
  11. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

how about snails ?

• Like Like x 1
  12. bouncer36

tried snail all three died

13. bouncer36

i put a cucumber in last night for the pleco but i don't think it touch it how long should i leave it in it

14. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Usually they'll eat it within a day or two at the most.

15. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

Adding stock to take care of a maintenance issue is never advisable in my opinion, and yes algae is a maintenance issue. What type of lights are you using and what is your photoperiod? Also what type of algae are we talking about?

16. bouncer36

I have never add any new fish this is a fish tank for a year or two it is green algee im using a marineland led lighting system

17. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

Could you post a pic, there are lots of "green" algaes spot, clado, hair just to name a few.

18. bouncer36

here a pic not a very good one all the dark spots on the head of the dragon is dark green
    my phone has been acting up with my pictures
    2012-07-11 14.39.46.jpg

19. bouncer36

Can the plecomus eat squash or zucchini not cooked

20. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Yep