1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

pool filter sand for indoor planted pond.

Discussion in 'Ponds, Streams, Outdoor Tanks' started by manta975, Jun 23, 2011.

1. manta975

manta975 Thread Starter New Member

so my dad is setting up a (roughly) 80G pond in the basement to grow plants in (to sell). he has tried many things as a substrate play ground sand, soil (like gardening soil) tried sand again with some gravel, all to no avail because as soon as he turned on the filter the sand (or dirt) would refuse to stay on the ground and it stayed very cloudy. I told him to get pool filter sand since i know lots of people do that and i assume it is rather heavy (since it goes in a pool filter and you don't want a cloudy pool) but is it good for plant growth. If its not what is something he can get (that's not expensive because we need a lot lol) or is there a method to keeping the sand/dirt down, does it just need some plant roots in it to hold it down. anything would help he already has a 10 gallon with dirt and it doesn't cloud up like this pond is.

(i cant give to much detail as it is in the US and atm i am not in the US lol just going off what he told me)

2. susankat

susankat Member

Rinse the sand really well then slowly add water using a plate to diffuse the flow. To grow plants with pool filter sand, I would add about 1/2 inch layer of peat then the sand on top of it. Making sure the peat is good and wet then the sand will hold it down.

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I use pool filter sand and grow plants in it fine WITHOUT adding any other substrate to it...or chemicals for that matter.

4. manta975

ok so i will tell him to try pool filter sand for sure then, its also cheep at like $15-20 for a 50lb bag i think (unlike $39 for 20lbs of "aquarium sand" lol)

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

tell him wait for it to go on sale at a pool supply store. I only paid $9.98 for my 50Lb bag.

6. manta975

i don't know if he got pool sand or not but i know there is some type of sand in there that isn't flying all over the place now lol i think he dint clean it well enough the first time so there was dust still on the sand and that's what was making it cloudy.

7. susankat

susankat Member

I pay about $8 for a 50lb bag at home depot.