1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

pregnant mollie?

Discussion in 'Livebearer Fish' started by community freshwater fun, Jan 6, 2013.

1. community freshwater fun

community freshwater fun Thread Starter New Member

A fish in my tank gave birth twice to babies. I am pretty sure it is the spotted mollies because the babies are becoming spotted. Do you she is pregnant again? If u do, how long do you think it will be before she gives birth again. The picture is my profile picture and it is the upper molly.

2. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to the forum.
    Once a female molly gets fertilized I do believe it'll be about 3-4 weeks before she'll give birth.

3. community freshwater fun

But do you think she is pregnant?

4. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

That picture isn't really easy to see, I can't really tell if maybe she is just a big girl or not, if she is with males then it is inevitable that she will have another drop.

5. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

I agree with HBIC. The picture is a little hard to see. Try to post a picture of her and we'll see if that'll help.
    My pc isn't working at the moment and I'm on my phone or I would give you a link or two,but google gravid spot. I don't know about mollies, but some female livebearers (my female guppy &platy did) will have/show a gravid spot when pregnant. With your molly being dark, I don't know if it'll show.

6. community freshwater fun

Idk if this is better for u to see

7. 3ndler3nvy

3ndler3nvy New Member

Mollies along with most livebearers can continue to give birth for up to 6 months after being hit by a male. So, there is a good chance she's pregnant again. If you don't want lots of babies, separate the males as soon as they can be sexed. Your mollies male offspring can get her pregnant again so it's good to separate the males quickly.

8. community freshwater fun

9. Haley Wolter

Haley Wolter New Member

How many more fry do you have? Do you have any pictures? I would love to see them if you do