1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

question regarding shy discus

Discussion in 'Discus' started by MOD_Dawn, Dec 11, 2009.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Thread Starter Active Member

Just a quick question, but if you haven't read my 90g link in my signature I have 9 discus ... 1 of which is shy and smaller than the rest.

I was just wondering if it would be a good idea to place him a seperate tank to give him a chance to catch up to the others in size per say and then add him back later to the group?

Or would the others bully him when I went to add him back?

2. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

It will get bullied no matter what when it comes back... odd enough, if you take it out they will find a new one to bully and that one will grow slower.... that one will be the stunted runt.... it probably will be the first to die and wont be anywhere near as large as the others at full grown.

I warned you that you would get a "problem" fish in the batch and that is it! Leave it in the tank and let nature take its course... If by chance he lives to full grown he will become the "hero" when/if you buy more discus later...

3. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

And Dawn, I am sorry if the post I responded with sounded harsh... I didnt mean for it to.... But honestly that is almost how it is, there will always be a picked on fish in the tank with Discus and if you remove that one it will get picked on when it comes back in... and if you dont put it back they will runt out another one... IMO I would cut the loss and leave it in and just let it be the runt... the runt could later be used as the hero when/if you get more..

The hero is the one you throw into the QT tank when you have new fish to see if they are carrying an illness that can get passed on to your current stock... if it dies, its the hero taking one for the team and saving the rest of the stock...