1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Redtop/Snow white scofoli

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by SmokeyCFH, Oct 11, 2010.

1. SmokeyCFH

SmokeyCFH Thread Starter New Member

What are your guys' thoughts about this mix?

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

As far as what goes ?

3. SmokeyCFH

hybrid cichlids, apparently my buddy had a male red top and a female scofoli and they bred in my tank and now i have hybrid fry.

4. SmokeyCFH

I guess what I'm asking is does anyone see breeding these a problem? She spit up 20+ fry all but 5 being albino, I know i wont have a problem selling them to a store but they're actually kind of cool lookin

5. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

i bet the fry will turn out looking really nice. we've got 6 juvie socolofi/greshakei mix and they turned out looking real good.

6. Coach T

Coach T New Member

I think those will be a cool mix! Grow some out and post pictures :D

7. Jeff W

Jeff W New Member

It is ok to breed them if you are going to keep them. As far as selling them to a pet shop I don't agree. Putting them on the market will ruin this hobby. Alot of us promote pure strain fish. I only do species tanks just to avoid hybrid fish. It is really frustrating that a pet shop will buy these hybrids from people and then put a name to them. It is the same as pet shops that sell mixed cichlids. One white one, one blue, one a yellow one and so on. These fish were raised in ponds and you really don't know what they are. Funny thing is every fish in that mixed tank was a cross breed and most likely had the same parents. I am not saying they don't look nice but they should be kept by the breeder or culled. This is just my two cents. I am not looking to argue with any one, to each his own.

Jeff

8. Coach T

Coach T New Member

We are just talking about Fish? You should be able to do what you want with your fish-but I agree you should not sell them to the pet stores but you can give them away to your friends, just be honest with people what you are giving them!

9. Robin Milford

Robin Milford New Member

If you are sure that they can take proper care of them. hiya

10. Porodo

Porodo New Member

I think this mix is nice. Most of the beautiful fish are from sea. People collect them from sea to keep them in aquarium. Some beautiful sea fish have funny fish names and i have collected some of them to keep in my aquarium.

11. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

I am not fond of interbreeding species, I think we as hobbyists need to help to promote healthy pure strains and not muddle the blood lines just to get pretty colors, but hey that is just one person opinion :)