1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Research Stage

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by The Lurking Ninja, Feb 5, 2013.

1. The Lurking Ninja

The Lurking Ninja Thread Starter New Member

Hello everyone,

This is my first post, so I would like to say hello and cant wait to learn.

My story:

Last year I got on a fish kick. I really wanted an aquarium. I gave it a few months to see if I still wanted one. The kick didnt go away and for Christmas I received a 37 gallon tank.

Now I am doing research.

I am having quite the hard time finding fish stores that will provide accurate information (pictures, temperature, pH, what level of the tank they swim....) about the fish. What websites do you guys use to find fish?

thanks a bunch,

Ninja

2. Philsy

Philsy Member

Will you be shopping online or local? your LFS usually will not do anything special to the water chemistry unless the fish are brackish or really sensitive to water conditions. Depending on what part of the state you are in I can make a few suggestions for places to buy from that I have been using for years.

3. The Lurking Ninja

I would like to buy from both. A list of stores would be fantastic! However, I would still like to do research, but i cant find sites the report the same information about the fish.

I live in SE Michigan, about 30 minutes from Detroit.

4. Philsy

Philsy Member

Ok so you are roughly from my area cool(I'm a few miles from Detroit). The stores that have been very friendly and knowledgeable are Fantastic Fins in Livonia(great place for the hard to find stuff and my favorite), Anchorbay Aquarium in New Baltimore and Preuss Pets in Lansing( kind of a hike but its the biggest mom and pop place you'll ever see), online I typically use aquabid and trade sections of various other forums. Another great experience is visiting the various auctions our local aquarium clubs hold several times a year. If I think of any other stores I'll let you know.

• Like Like x 1
  5. The Lurking Ninja

so i will be visiting fantastic fins very soon. However, is liveaquaria.com a good source of information?

6. Philsy

Philsy Member

Not really I checked them out once but the prices were way higher than anyone else and their info is commonly contradictory or false.

7. The Lurking Ninja

so what online sites just has accurate info? I will probably just be buying from fantastic fins or maybe the fish doctors....

8. Philsy

Philsy Member

I usually do a Google search for fish that I'm interested in, read though a bunch of pages and go with the info that is the same on multiple sights. Asking around the forums is another great way to research also.
    I was just going to suggest checking out fish doctors in Ypsi, I've never been there personally but I've heard it is a pretty nice place.

9. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

Welcome to the community. There really isn't any one comprehensive site that tells all you are wanting to know about fish. I would suggest coming up with a list of fish that you are interested in and posting it here, we can help you I am sure :)

10. The Lurking Ninja

So my tank is 37 gal. I plan on having fresh water fish. I have not checked my water for the pH level and kH levels. So this is just general browsing

Information im looking for:

Temperature level
    pH and kH level
    community fish?
    where in the tank does it swim?

Ghost Glass Cat (Kryptopterus bicirrhis)
    Ghost Shrimp (Palaeomenetes sp.)
    Clown Plecostomus (Panaque maccus)
    Gold Dojo Loach (Misgurnus anguillicaudatus)
    Algae Eater

11. HBIC

Ghost Glass Cat (Kryptopterus bicirrhis)- Lower third
    Ghost Shrimp (Palaeomenetes sp.)-Bottom dwelling
    Clown Plecostomus (Panaque maccus)-Any plec will utilize the entire tank in my opinion
    Gold Dojo Loach (Misgurnus anguillicaudatus)-Lower third
    Algae Eater-Not for sure what you are specifically referring to here.

12. Philsy

Philsy Member

You will need driftwood in the tank for the clown pleco to chew on though.

13. The Lurking Ninja

Okay I have another question.

I have bought the gravel for my aquarium. I know I am supposed to rinse the gravel. Am i rinsing with tap water? Or treated water?

ps. there is already treated water in my tank

14. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

I've always rinsed the gravel with tap water and after I put it in the tank then I would put enough dechlorinator (I use amquel plus) for the tank capacity.

• Like Like x 1
  15. The Lurking Ninja

thanks for the quick reply

16. Philsy

Philsy Member

Rinse thoroughly with tap and then treat the tank again after adding no sense wasting chems, but ideally you add water after substrate and scape to avoid having to remove the water that will get displaced.

17. The Lurking Ninja

Hello again,

Its been quite some time. I now have some questions about getting some fish. I currently have 5 zebra danios. I am currently seeking more fish. Please help me decide which ones out of these list and how many.

Angelfish
    Blue Rams
    Cherry Barbs
    harlequin rasbora
    Corry cats

Ive heard these fish are good but im not sure about them
    Rainbowfish
    tetras
    mollies

I definitely want the angel fish and blue rams (2 preferably male and female). If some of these fish are not compatible or I should just focus on a few of them please let me know.

Any help would be appreciated.

18. HBIC

You're going to have a hard time with 2 sets of cichlids in a 37 gallon. I would go with only one angel and one ram...if you have your heart set on a pair then pick a pair of one of the two because you will have nothing but a bunch of dead fish when they start to breed. If you want a male and female angel pair then go with those remove the danios they will surely parish if the angels start to lay eggs. You could add 10 cories or so with the angels but nothing else. Try Corydorus Aenus to begin with they are relatively cheap, hardy and are pretty much available anywhere. If you want a male/female ram then you can go with 6 Cherry Barbs and about the same amount of Rasboras..DO NOT add cories since they will occupy the lower quadrant of the tank with the rams and will be killed if/when the rams start to breed.

19. The Lurking Ninja

fantastic. Thank you. I bought one angelfish and plan on adding two GBR. I plan on buying a male and female like previously stated. Questions.

If I buy them and they dont pair up will they fight? If they do pair up what conditions do they need to have to breed (I prefer them not breed)

also would any gourmis be compatible with my angels and barbs?

Also any tetras be compatible?

I guess what im trying to say is there any other fish that would be compatible that I am not currently aware of?

20. HBIC

Do not put gouramis in with the Angel it will end badly, larger tetras I happen to like colombian will work but anything smaller is going to be angel food. If you end up with two male GBR's there may be some issues two females should be fine. They really don't need any specific conditions to breed if they are happy they should breed.