1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Seachem De*nitrate/ denitrate

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by MOD_Dawn, Aug 9, 2011.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Thread Starter Active Member

Products That Work!
    Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:50 pm

Well about a month ago out of the blue I was having issues with water parameters, it seemed like the tank was re-cycling for some reason and my Phosphates were completey out of hand (city water).

I wanted to post a comparison of the water readings from then (May 18th) to today (June 14th) to show the changes with simply the addition of Seachem De*nitrateand Seachem Phosgaurd. On June 9th I added the Seachem De*nitrate & Seachem Phosgaurd to 1 of the xp4 filters...the filter was cleaned before the addition of these products and each product went into its own SEPERATE basket.

Ammonia:
    Then 6.0-7.0 NOW .5-1.0

Nitrite:
    Then 0.25 NOW 0.25

Nitrate:
    Then 40ppm (tank was 2 days past partial) NOW 0ppm (tank is due for partial tomorrow)

Phosphate:
    Then between 5.0 & 10.0 NOW 0.25

SIDENOTE 1:
    SIDENOTE 2:

2. MOD_Dawn

Question
    Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:11 pm

Does that mean that the Nitrite reading is Real, or simply a result of the Prime "binding"??
    Thinking it's probably a "real" reading, rather than a false positive?

3. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

Its binding.

Dawn, Check out the API tap water filter, its cheap and it will save you money in the long run, I use no chemicals in my tanks and my water is crap, just the counter top unit alone is more then enough to strip the stuff out of the water. I am very pleased with mine and recommend them to people on a budget, they work and work well.

4. MOD_Dawn

I had one and sold it off. It took FOREVER to get a mere bucket of water and patience lately hasn't been my virtue but that's another story.

I even had a huge ro/di unit that I used when I had the saltwater tank and sold it off when the setup left, it too took forever to get a bucket of water. I have the city water, but our pressure isn't fantastic...I'm happy I can get the python no spill clean n' fill to work which saves me the time and backaches.

5. WhiteGloveAquatics

I run my filter into a holding tank, those tap water filters only need 2psi to work so even a trickle of water will get filtered. I got a 300g water tank for sale if you need it LOL. You MUST make water into a holding tank of sorts, It takes about half an hour to fill a 5g bucket on the tap filter and takes me about 8 hours to produce 100g of water with my RO units.

6. MOD_Dawn

I think the one I had was a 500gpd one, and I'm impatient to wait long and 8 hours is way too long for me.
    I can't recall the exact wait time using my unit (had it run from a cellar spicket (sp) into a 5g bucket)...but I know it seemed to take forever.

I guess that's common with any of the units though (slow to convert it through any type of ro/di).
    I had the other one you recommended and sold it off because it took much longer for me.

Plus, then you have to "heat" the water before you can even use it, with the python I just attach it to my sink and adjust the temperature that way...prime the tank before "adding" the fresh water...and flip the spicket (sp) and full she goes in less than 30 minutes when doing a major partial (50% or more). Big fan of the convenience, now IF I had the patience I'd have the ro/di set up in the cellar again and a bucket nearby. Then a larger bucket like a new garbage can with a heater setup in it and simply convert the water and toss it in the "holding" garbage can until it was needed. But again, just don't have the patience or spare room to go through the effort.

This is when you need to have a spare room dedicated to fishy stuff that has a door you can close. Lol!
    *Dreams of having such a room*

7. WhiteGloveAquatics

I run mine to poly holding tanks, and use heaters inside them to regulate the temp, my tap water is 53 degrees when its running but during the summer it goes up about 10 degrees.
    a 500gpd unit should produce 20 gph. thats a HUGE unit.