1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Some fishy photos...

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by NoctuVide, Jan 12, 2012.

1. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Thread Starter Member

Some random photos of some of the inhabitants of my tanks. I'll continue to upload to this thread as I get more decent enough shots.

55 and 29

Young festivum cichlid
    ai218.photobucket.com_albums_cc37_NoctuVide_Aquariums_344d1b2c.jpg

The old lady, one of my first cichlids ever. She's laid eggs a couple times even though she was the only festivum in the tank. These of course became cichlid caviar for other fish.
    ai218.photobucket.com_albums_cc37_NoctuVide_Aquariums_bb6562b6.jpg

Lamp. Speciosus

Young Altolamp. Compressiceps fire fin. 99% sure this is a male as he is extremely dominant, and pretty much king of the tank.
    ai218.photobucket.com_albums_cc37_NoctuVide_Aquariums_20fed6e7.jpg

Eretmodus (goby cichlid) most active eretmodus I've owned

2. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Active Member

=D
    Very nice! Very, VERY nice =D
    Since I keep guppies, I couldn't have Cichlids. But a guy near my house has a 1,000 gallon tank set up for his. It's amazing!

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I love the Young Altolamp. Compressiceps fire fin! color, shape, and mouth are awesome :)
    Wish I had better luck when I tried the africans cuz then i woulda delved into some other varieties down the line. Funny how 1 bad experience can keep you away from so much.

And amazed the tanks look so great with getting married and a new youngen..I remember when I had my first one (teenager at the time..I know i know)...I barely had time to get dressed in the morning let alone do anything that wasn't baby related (feedings, changings, etc).

4. NoctuVide

Now the compressiceps should eventually look like this
    awww.ninekaow.com_data_wbs_pictures_05_0007859_pic_1300284550.jpg

I remember you telling me you had a bad experience with them before, but I can't remember what exactly happened and what types of cichlids they were? I had some evil evil fish in my 90 gal for a little while... Pseudotropheus demasoni. Beautiful beautiful blue and black cichlids....but evil! They started killing my other fish.

With guppies, you could probably keep some of the calmer south Americans. Geophagus, gymnogeophagus, etc. though with either of those you would need a 55+ gallon tank and south americans are still cichlids, so they could become aggressive and you're pretty likely to never see guppy fry again lol

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

yea. I had a slaughter fest...all was well while everyone was little (and they were pricey little buggers at $10.99- $15.99 a piece), but once they hit about 2" everyone started attacking everyone else. I had soo many hiding spots/caves in the setup it was ridiculous and all the fish were purchased from a lfs that had been in business for like forever (elmers aquarium). The worker there even helped me pick out all the fish when I was stocking....By the time was all said it done they basically just took the fish off my hands for not even a $1 a fish (for what was left of the ones that were salvaged).

I was stuck with the cichlid buffer and all the other crap which I basically pitched because they said they'd just take it for free after spending more than I care to share on everything. It was a really aggrovating experience and this is why I say despite loving the look of them that I'd probably never go back and do them again unless they were free and my tank was just sitting there all empty and void of life. Lol!

Here's a quick thread from what few photos I had of them...which was a very short while.
    90 Gallon African Cichlid Pool Sand

So I think I'll continuing enjoying other peoples photos and videos of them ;)

6. NoctuVide

Looking at those pics, it definitely looks like you had a whole bunch of mbuna and labs, of which I can't remember the names, but the species you had were all super aggressive mbuna. The only one I see in those pics that would be on the mild side looks to be a melanochromis exasperatus. I had one of those until a demasoni killed it... The only mbuna I have right now is a cynotilapia afra cobue. He has never killed anyone, but he's definitely on the aggressive side and sometimes bullies the other fish around.
    On the topic of cichlids, having never owned them, I'm just curious if discus ever show any aggression being that they are a type of cichlid as well? I can't picture a discus being mean lol

7. NoctuVide

An interesting side by side. The top is my altolamp. Compressiceps (tanganyika) and the bottom is my female Hap. Compressiceps (Malawi) in my 90 gal. Now this is all theoretical, but there was a great photo I found online that showed side by side comparisons of fish from tanganyika and from Malawi and how their evolution was so similar whether it was coloration, body shape, etc. and yet the lakes are completely unconnected.
    ai218.photobucket.com_albums_cc37_NoctuVide_Aquariums_b362c230.jpg

8. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

They are not connected now but that doesn't mean they have been that way always. The fish are SWEET BTW :)

9. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

really good looking fish !!!

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Yep, the can get nasty..especially when trying to breed.
    Lately (the past about month or so) no matter what I do they always pick out one and beat the snot out of it...I even tried selling off a few thinking that'd help, then pulling the one they beat up out figuring it must be a mating thing...but no go.

Oddly enough I had no issues the entire time they grew up together.

11. NoctuVide

Hbic, this is true.
    As for the fish, I love what I have but I think I need to get some bright colors going on, at least in the 90 gal. The tangs and south Americans are all rather drab, and the brightest fish I have in the 90 is my male Haplochromis obliquiden. Horrible picture but this is what he looks like

Dawn, that definitely either sounds like a mating hormonal thing or a territory issue. Very interesting though..

12. NoctuVide

Love messing with these apps on my iPhone lol

13. NoctuVide

Just picked up a new Plakat Betta

ai218.photobucket.com_albums_cc37_NoctuVide_Aquariums_f7e08b29.jpg

ai218.photobucket.com_albums_cc37_NoctuVide_Aquariums_5d6cc835.jpg

14. buzz4520

great looking betta !!!

15. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Active Member

Nice Beta. I like blues better tho, lol!

16. NoctuVide

MasterBlue: They had a really pretty dark blue double tail plakat when I got the red one. Have you ever seen a black betta? I finally saw one today. Very cool looking fish!

On to a couple more pics. Picked these two guys up today.... Altolamp. Comp. Mwela orange. I'm hoping it's a male and female as they will be at breeding size sooner than the other comps. and I'm dying to see baby altolamps! Lol Eventually I'm going to have to decide who I want to keep in this tank and who's going to be transferred to another tank. The pics look horrible and I will get better ones once they are used to the tank.

Hopeful female on the left. Good comparison shot next to the original fire fin on the right.

This one has got to definitely be a male (top). Quite a bit bigger than the hopeful female, and has a much more slanted head.

17. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Active Member

Ooh man, good luck!

18. NoctuVide

So I changed some things around in the 29. I grabbed some of my old live rock from two years ago when the 90 gal was a reef tank in progress. I soaked it for a while to make sure any salt that might still be in it after sitting out in the rain and snow for two years would be cleaned out. I forgot a piece i wanted to add to it outside, so that will be going in tonight.
    Yes that's a baby food container on the right (which was actually a good idea as its used by one compressiceps or another), and yes those are rainbow fish in the center (though I'm thinking they are going into the 55 and im going to get some smaller rainbows as this species of rainbow makes a horrible dither fish... Lol) and you can see the Christmas wrapping paper as a background (cheapmans way of covering the back lol).

19. buzz4520

looks really nice.

20. NoctuVide

I went to another LFS the other day, and picked up what was labeled as a "black calvus". After I got him home, I'm looking at him and I'm thinking "there is no way this is a calvus, the body shape doesn't match and it definitely isn't black. Come to find out it is a compressiceps of some type. Still a big beautiful fish and definitely a keeper, but not what I wanted...that'll teach me for not waiting for Ned's to get some in... Lol

New guy hanging out with a mwela orange
    ai218.photobucket.com_albums_cc37_NoctuVide_Aquariums_807b2a97.jpg

Smiling pretty for the camera
    ai218.photobucket.com_albums_cc37_NoctuVide_Aquariums_b12f6444.jpg

Also my new lamprologus brevis kvala pair
    [​IMG]