1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Water Problems Swordtail dying rapidly

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases & Cures' started by amylizcat, Oct 24, 2013.

1. amylizcat

amylizcat Thread Starter New Member

I have a 125 litre fish tank and have had about 15 swordtails for a while now with no previous problems with them. About a week ago my heater broke and I had to replace it with a less powerful one this means the water isn't as warm as normal as usual but it is heated. Since then my swordtails have been dying one by one. It started with a pregnant female and then one by one they have been dying off, I am now left 6 and 2 look like they are going the same way. The dead fish have no bites or abnormal markings or shaped bodies. I have don chemical tests and there was nothing peculiar plus I have two angelfish and 7 neon tetras and so far none of them have been affected. Please help if you do know what might be happening or if you have a cure for it.

2. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

When you say chemical tests what were the results of the tests, ammonia, trites and trates?

3. amylizcat

amylizcat Thread Starter New Member

ph = 8 ( i realise this is a little too alkali for swordtails but I have had swordtails in slightly alkali water for many years and never had any problems with them
    ammonia=0.3
    nitrite=0.1
    nitrate=10

4. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

Hello, welcome to the forum.
    According to your test results, looks like they may have died from ammonia poisioning. How long has this tank been running ? I reccomend doing a 50 - 75% water change with a gravel vac, wait at least 24 hours, retest the water, if your still showing ammonia and/or nitrites then do another 50% water change, wait 24 hours and retest water. Keep doing this until test results are 0 ammonia 0 nitrites <20 nitrates. What kind of water dechlorinator/conditioner do you use ? Ones like Prime and Amquel plus (I use this one) will detox ammonia and nitrites.

5. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

Agreed a fully cycled tank should not be showing any ammonia, how often are your water changes?