1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Thinking about...

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish Forum' started by toxxxic.kitten, Sep 26, 2011.

1. toxxxic.kitten

toxxxic.kitten Thread Starter New Member

I'm thinking about delving into the world of saltwater. I've never had a salt water tank before and I thought I would start with something small like a 10 gallon or maybe 20 Long; something that I could maintain and be within my budget of being able to set it up. Can someone point me in the right direction about getting started? What will I need to get - about all I know is live sand & live rock. Also, what kinds of fish(es) would I be able to stick comfortably in those size tanks?

2. The.Invert.Lady

The.Invert.Lady New Member

Believe it or not its harder to maintain a small saltwater tank than it is to maintain a bigger tank. Most people will advise you to start with at least 55 gallons. The smaller the tank the bigger effects of evaporation etc. saltwater tanks are all about maintenance.

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Gotta agree with the reply that's above me.
    Smallers harder to maintain and allows less room for error.

Also, it really doesn't matter whether it's a small tank or a big one...the equipment will run you around the same price in the long run so there really won't be much of a savings if that's a concern (which I know it would be if it were me).

Supplies depends on what your planning on doing tank size-wise and stockwise.
    Like is it going to be a fish only? or are you planning on adding corals (moreso like a reef setup)?
    Do you plan on adding any burrowers such as firefish?

Do You Plan on purchasing a filter?
    Will you be adding any live rock (which can also be used as a natural filter)? Will the rock be cured?

I kept a 55g saltwater setup, but only for less than a year after finding out I was allergic to saltwater which landed me in the hospital for nearly a month. Make sure you aren't allergic! Lol!