1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

What to do with Spawning Angelfish

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by LemonDiscus, Feb 3, 2009.

1. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Thread Starter Active Member

First steps, 2 choices:
    1 - Remove the pair that is laying eggs into a separate tank with no other fish. This is your best option but there still is a chance that the parents will eat there own eggs. That all depends on the personality of the individual fish. They should be placed in a 39/30 gallon or larger (no bigger than a 55 gallon) by themselves with NO other fish.
    2 - Remove the eggs after they have been laid. You have to keep an eye on what is going on. Angelfish will keep spawning every 3-5 days if they do not have to raise their babies. Moving the babies can be tricky depending on what the parents lay them on. If they lay on a plant/rock like mine like to do, the best thing is to take off the leaf/rock they laid on and put it into a bucket while NEVER taking the eggs out of the water in other words put the bucket/cup into the tank and move the leaf/rock and place it into a smaller tank such as a 10 gallon WITH NO SUBSTRATE. Note: you WILL loose more babies this way as good parents keep the eggs free of fungus. Methaline Blue is a great way to treat your smaller tank you keep the eggs in but you still will loose many.

If any eggs fall off because there is no substrate they should be fine, dont worry about it.

Feeding and Care of Angelfish Fry
    Day 1 - Eggs are laid / move eggs to new tank if you want to raise
    Day 2 - Infertile eggs will turn white, fertile ones will look reddish/opaque - change 5-10% water
    Day 3 - More eggs will turn white and some will get fluffy (fungus) - change 5-10% water treat changed water with Methaline Blue
    Day 4 - Eggs "hatch" and will wiggle thus the stage called "Wigglers" - change 5-10% water treat changed water with Methaline Blue
    Day 5 - Still in "Wiggler" stage - change 5-10% water treat changed water with Methaline Blue
    Day 6 - Some wigglers will try free swimming but even those that do will be no good at it. - change 5-10% water treat changed water with Methaline Blue
    Day 7 - Most wigglers will be free swimming and some will be better than others - change 5-10% water treat changed water with Methaline Blue
    Day 8 - Most wigglers will be moving all around the tank. This day you can start feeding if you wish. You dont have to I usually wait until they are moving around well before I feed. When you do decide to start feeding here is the food they will eat that worked for me at this age: Hikari Frozen Baby Brine Shrimp. They say you get better results if you hatch your own Brine Shrimp but I dont have the time to do that myself. Feed 2 times a day.

I personally do not use the methaline blue but my parents raise the young which makes my life that much easier. The key is not to do too much to them.

Here is some added things I do if you get them to live this long:
    Around 2 weeks - I mix feeding Baby Brine Shrimp for a feeding and "Hikari First Bites" for another.
    Around 3 weeks - I remove the baby brine shrimp from almost all feedings only giving it a time or 2 a week
    Around 5 weeks - No more frozen baby brine. Full diet of Hikari First Bites

Eventually I ween off of the first bite into a crushed/powdered tropical flake diet. My dry food is a crushed/powdered mixture of Tropical Flakes and Cichlid Granuals.

Getting Rid of the Babies:
    Most pet stores will buy the babies once they are between the size of a dime and a nickel. Some want them larger too where they are the size of a quarter of a half dollar. That you have to ask.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Nice writeup. I made it sticky so everyone can see it.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

that is a wonderful write up. thank you. I am printing it so that I can have it handy if I ever get eggs again!

4. LemonDiscus

Thank you! :cool:

5. caronsd

caronsd New Member

I feed my fry Micro Worms and some high quality powder food, water changes are key to quick and healthy growth, (stunted growth is not good). I also keep my 4 breeding pairs in 2 divided 30 gallon tanks, I do this because giving them the ability to see one another in the tank tends to keep them "defending" the spawn, the fish I've had would eat the eggs when kept alone for some reason, but like Lemon said that depends on the fish's personality. I like to let mine raise their young to free swimming stage, some say you get less fry some say you get more, for me its part of the enjoyment to see the parents guarding their young, however as Lemon stated above, Angels will spawn more often when eggs are removed. Either way they are GREAT fish to raise and a lot of fun when you have a nice tank setup with tons of little angel fry swimming around.

6. LemonDiscus

I also agree personally with leaving the parents to raise the fry. It is less work and watching the parents raise is AWESOME!

BUT sometimes you have to remove them to keep the parents from eating them. Unfortunately mine just recently decided to start doing that and I only have 1 pair at the moment. Unless someone has a male they would be willing to give/sell to me :) I have 2 females and 1 male!

7. caronsd

caronsd New Member

man i have 4 breeding pairs but i cant keep the fry long enough to sex them, people buy them like crazy lol, my suggestion, go buy like 3 or 4 and you'll get another pair for sure.

8. LemonDiscus

Its the year wait for them to mature I dont like..... Plus I really want to breed my discus.... I just took the single angel out in hopes that the discus may feel comfortable enough to breed.

I started breeding angels by mistake... I got the angels to put a bull of a male discus in his place as he was killing other discus I added to the tank. That worked then I ended up with eggs and wanted to try to make a few bucks :roll:

9. caronsd

caronsd New Member

angels breed really easily lol, some of mine breeding are only like 9 months old, they breed as early as 7 if you grow them fast enough.

10. LemonDiscus

They do breed easy.... I wish my Discus were that easy to breed. :confused:

11. caronsd

caronsd New Member

yeah that would be nice, Discus will be my next fish when i get a house and a 125 gallon tank

12. LemonDiscus

You could do them in a smaller tank. A 55 would hot 6 comfortably. Just need a high level of filtration and frequent water changes. Of course that wont do for breeding but to show, thats plenty.... enough water changes and filtration and you may get up to 9 in a 55. They dont swim back and forth a lot.... mostly up and down.

13. caronsd

caronsd New Member

I know a guy with breeding size discus that are at least 6 inches in diameter, probably more than that, those are decent size fish, but i do have a 55 gallon....

14. LemonDiscus

I have 1 that is 7", another 2 that are 6", 1 that is 3" (stunted by previous owner) and the rest are 5"

Wilds can grow to over 10"

15. caronsd

caronsd New Member

Speaking of angels, well at least we were earlier, I wish i had a video camera.. I have a pair that is DEFINITELY going to spawn tonight lol...

16. LemonDiscus

Mine too.... tubes are out and all!

17. caronsd

caronsd New Member

the tubes are dead giveaway, however i do have 1 angel who is in with 5 others that ALWAYS has the tube out but can't find a mate.. :( (the others just dont like him)

18. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Once I get a bigger tank (probadly a corner one) WIch might take some time since i dont know their price and I didnt start my job yet. I'm getting some angels, would be nice if they paired up :D

19. LemonDiscus

If you do it right they should if you get 5-6. You may even get 3 pairs with 6 is you are lucky! I would guess 2 though. They pair up REALLY easy as long as the water conditions are right!

20. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

THat'd be great,, I'll probadly go for 2 thought I wont be able to handle all those tiny fry if 6 of them would pair up into 3