1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

what type of sword plant is this?

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by Anthony, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Anthony

Anthony Thread Starter Active Member

Sword Plant

I'm not a plant person really so can someone verify that this is Indian Red Sword and not Amazon ? It was labeled as Amazon at the pet store but I'm not sure. The pictures are in VA Endler Tank Thread...

My Planted Endler Tank (Virginia)

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Looks like an indian red to me...looks the same as the one I just got (just bigger). Although mine has a reddish tinge to the leaves.

3. Anthony

Here's a closer picture if that will help any.

My Planted Endler Tank (Virginia)

According to LiveAquaria Amazon sword propagates by Peduncles, Indian Red Sword by Adventitious Shoots/Rhizome. *Shrugs*

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

5. Anthony

Yeah, I saw that earlier when I was looking. I guess it is that, the leaves of the Amazon and Indian Red seem thinner than mine.

6. Anthony

Thanks Dawn. :D

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

No problem :)

8. Anthony

Got another question for you or anyone else that might know... The runner (I thought runners grew horizontally, not vertically but that's another story.) that's growing up, is it okay for that to actually grow out of the water ?

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I couldn't see it as being a problem? As mine is also quite large in height...I'd only worry if you noticed it (the plant) turning brown, losing color, or otherwise looking unhealthy in appearance. Another words...if all is well let it be.

10. Anthony

Okay. One of the plants has a very tall one that I tucked under the filter overflow so it wasn't in the air. It was pretty close to the light and I was scared the light may dry it out too much or something.

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I'm no professional, but if you want expert advice I would call a plant store such as the one I ordered from and ask someone there. Here's a toll free number for aquariumplants.com ORDER toll free line: (866) 919-8349 in case you'd like to call them and ask them about it. I'd just fib and tell them a friend ordered plants from you from them and you had a quick question regarding an (name plant) & would like to know if the runner of such has to be continually submeresed when grown in an aquarium and IF it does is there any adverse effect of not having it fully in the water?

12. Anthony

LoL okay thanks. If they ask for an order number I'll just say "Sorry, wrong number". :)

13. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

I snagged this off of another site thinking it may be of some help. This was for a Ruby Melon Sword, but it should be the same idea.

This plant will occasionally flower producing seeds but is more reliably reproduced asexually by runners. The runner may be cut from the main plant and each plantlet replanted once leaves are about 2 inches long and roots have begun to form. Alternatively, the runner can be weighted on to the substrate where the plants will establish themselves and the runner will rot on its own.

14. Anthony

Great, thanks. I was thinking about just cutting it off below the one daughter plant and sticking it somewhere else in the tank so I may do that or just tuck it under the driftwood.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

It looks to me as if it may actually be some type of broad leaf aponogeton. My apons send off those same shoots all the time. What color is the flower it is producing?

16. Anthony

It doesn't have a flower, only daughter plants.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

It doesn't have pods or seeds on the end growing out of the water?

18. Anthony

Nope, it's a little plant. If you look at the picture on the first page at the top right hand corner you can see one of the daughter plants growing from this runner. It's just like that little daughter plant, just smaller.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

HHHMMMM......

20. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

It does look like a sword variety to me, and I agree with Dawn that it is a Melon Sword. It is DEFINITELY not an Amazon Sword.... I keep those and the broad portion goes all the way to the roots almost.