1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

125 Planted Discus Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by LemonDiscus, Jan 31, 2009.

1. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Thread Starter Active Member

No not ALL albino... :)

Im actually going to keep my blues and my wilds with them... I figured IF I get some breeding that would be nice to have albino genetics thrown in the mix..

I actually think they would look REALLY good in my planted tank with the black background! Here is an interesting thing... Albinos lacking pigment are lacking the black in them too even though they show the red and bits of the blue... therefore a blue turquoise albino has a baby blue, some red and NO BLACK BARS and they dont darken either!

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

hmm..that's interesting.
    and defin. agree they would look good with the black background and the greenery!

3. LemonDiscus

These even though they look like Pigeon Bloods ARE NOT. Its my way of getting fish without the black which is why I dont like Marlboro Reds and other Pigeon Blood based discus...

These "technically" are the striped based discus... but without the stripes due to genetics :)

Yeah I am 99% certain this deal I have is a go! I just got response on my half of the barter on the fish... He likes! So, I just have some work left to do on my end, the weather to warm up a bit and off they go from him to me!

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I don't have alot of the black speckling on my marlboros...I was told it has to do with darkness of tank (ie. dark background/dark substrates).

As you know I do have the dark substrate...just not the dark background? dunno.

I do have the speckling on the 1 runt though...but I'm kinda attached to him now regardless. haha!

If I had to do over again, I think I woulda just shelled out the cash and bought 1 adult at a time in the colors I preferred. I wanted to start small because alot of people scared me with the pristine water and care and there sensitivity.

I've now come to find out they are a breeze imo. I haven't had any issues with not eating...my water conditions (although I do have good husbandry when it comes to water imo)...or the inhabitants sharing the tank causing a problem.
    Come to think of it...the only real issue I've had is the 2 runts (but outta 9 I don't think that's all that bad)?

5. LemonDiscus

They are not THAT hard to keep... just different than other fish...

BTW - That barter is a deal now! So.... Its on with them! I still dont know the exact number I will be getting but its around 10 fish... most are albino and I think there will be 1 or 2 Giant Altum Flora discus (basically high bodied blue turks)

I will soon see... He gets the missing fish he does not have (he has 6 albinos now) next month... so... Im excited... Its almost time for me to bring my 55 gallon downstairs and start cycling it to prepare for the shipment.

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

yay! I can't wait to see the setup with them in it.
    is he giving you a good deal on them? or moreso of a trade off?

7. LemonDiscus

He gets the better end of the barter... because I am being nice but no money changes hands so I am happy!

8. spawn

spawn New Member

woh..nice and healthy discus...

9. spawn

spawn New Member

oh great tank shot...

10. luckycharms

luckycharms New Member

lol i had to look at it 3 times b4 i saw the rock ---- gees im gettin slooooww

11. eleanor1

eleanor1 New Member

needs more cowbells

12. Haley Wolter

Haley Wolter New Member

[​IMG]This image is from Google Images. What kind of Discus are these? They are beautiful! Would a trio be good with my Mollies? I don't have any fish, yet. I am planning out my stock. I want a 75 gallon at least. I am thinking about going for a 100 gallon, though. I don't really know...

13. Basha312

Basha312 New Member

Looks Amazing!